Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Refractometer Sale  (Read 14068 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Refractometer Sale
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 09:22:20 am »
Fair enough. How small of batches do you brew? One gallon? Small batches are cool, I've settled on 4 gallon batches. Three gallons might be even better because turn over is much faster, but sometimes it's just not enough, especially if I'm taking a lot of growlers to parties.

Most of my batches net about a case of bottles once you factor in dry hops and so on. Test batches are generally 1 gallon preboil. Meads and such are typically 2 gallons or less. A couple of times a year I will split off a gallon from a batch for extended aging on Brett as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
  • So much to beer, so little time to brew it all...
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 10:22:43 am »
Lately I've been doing mostly 6 gallon batches split into two three gallon fermenters to experiment with different yeasts.  Greater variety of beer for essentially the same effort, and I'm learning more.

Re. refractometers - the one on amazon looks identical to one I picked up last year (for twice the price!), though mine came in a soft case and did not include the adjustment screwdriver.  I've been very pleased with it.  I'll have to check the gravity scale against the Brix reading using another calculator sometime, but I have had no reason to believe it is inaccurate.  The main reason I went to the refractometer is that I was sick of breaking hydrometers - when it was starting to cost more than a new refractometer at $50, I made the plunge and have had no regrets.  The adjusted FG calculated by the Beersmith refractometer tool appears to give very reasonable numbers - but this, too, should be checked against the hydrometer - maybe someday when I'm feeling less lazy.
- Brian
------------------------------------------
Fermenting: west-coast IPA
Bottled:60 schilling, 70 schilling, maple porter, wheat porter

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 10:28:06 am »
My wife bought me a refractometer for Christmas a few years ago. I dont know where she bought it, but I'm  pretty sure its this exact one. It looks pretty much the same as the photo. It works well, but I never really checked the gravity scale. Reading the reviews, it does looks like there may have been some bogus ones sold from somewhere. It looks like several places sell this one.  and for ones that are not exactly whats listed, maybe amazon's listing didnt match what was actually being sold, which has happened to me twice in the past year from amazon.  Both times the listings were wrong for what I ordered, Amazon was good at exchanging/refunding.  As far as refractometers, I still use my hydrometer for most measuring.  Maybe thats why I havent found it to be off.
Mark

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 09:09:06 pm »
OK, something funny may in fact be going on with the Brix-SG scale in the dual scale refractometer I have.  The side to side scales look good until you hit the 15 Brix range.  15 Brix~1.058 on the refractometer's scale (with nothing on the plate) - should be closer to 1.061 (0.28% higher).  20 brix~1.078, should be about 1.083 (0.46% higher).  30 Brix~1.117 - should be 1.129 (1% higher).  I've tended to brew under 1.060 since I've had the refractometer, so nothing really jumped out at me that suggested a problem.  I did just make a mead that read 30 Brix - and in this range I suppose I will not be able to trust the SG readings.  Hopefully the Brix value is at least correct.  I did some quick tests on sugar solutions, but now need to explore that a bit further at higher gravity ranges.
Anyone else's dual scale have similar values?
- Brian

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 07:04:58 pm »
...15 Brix~1.058 on the refractometer's scale (with nothing on the plate) - should be closer to 1.061 (0.28% higher)...
I'd consider that to be off by 5.3%, etc., but I suppose that's semantics. :)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 10:24:17 pm »
Well, I just got mine in today and everything looks as advertised. Nice case, and the refractometer seems very sturdy. I'm looking forward to testing it out tomorrow.

My only complaint is that the SG scale is way too small for my crappy eyes to read.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 08:17:31 am »
I got mine yesterday and I needed to calibrate it to 0 right off the bat but I think it'll work well for me so i can check gravities in the boil and out of the mash quickly. Not bad for $22 after shipping.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 08:48:53 am »
Well, I just got mine in today and everything looks as advertised. Nice case, and the refractometer seems very sturdy. I'm looking forward to testing it out tomorrow.

My only complaint is that the SG scale is way too small for my crappy eyes to read.
Me to. all looks well.

+1 on the sg scale being too small to read.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2013, 09:21:07 am »
...15 Brix~1.058 on the refractometer's scale (with nothing on the plate) - should be closer to 1.061 (0.28% higher)...
I'd consider that to be off by 5.3%, etc., but I suppose that's semantics. :)

I agree because 1.000 is the baseline, not zero.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2013, 11:20:26 am »
I'd consider that to be off by 5.3%, etc., but I suppose that's semantics.
Hmm.  I calculated 1.061/1.058 = 1.0028, so I should instead calculate the change as 0.061/0.058 = 1.0517 (~5.2%)?

- Brian

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2013, 05:54:58 pm »
Hmm.  I calculated 1.061/1.058 = 1.0028, so I should instead calculate the change as 0.061/0.058 = 1.0517 (~5.2%)?
I think so, since 1.000 means no sugar, which makes it your baseline.  Effectively, 1.000 is your "0" point.

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 08:45:38 pm »
Mine showed up today.  Only a soft case, but still quite happy with the purchase

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2013, 08:54:22 pm »
I think so, since 1.000 means no sugar, which makes it your baseline.  Effectively, 1.000 is your "0" point.

Exactly

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2013, 11:11:26 am »
Mine showed up today.  Only a soft case, but still quite happy with the purchase
The fact that that detail is inconsistent, keeps me away from the "deal".
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2013, 02:22:07 pm »
The fact that that detail is inconsistent, keeps me away from the "deal".

I bet if you read the fine print is says that another product will be substituted if supply requires. I got the hardcase and cloth and all just like in the picture.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce