Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: 7lbs Apricots, 7 lbs plums, and I love Sours. Help me choose what to brew.  (Read 7424 times)

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
Got a great deal on some fresh fruit and would like to brew some sort of sour with it. Thoughts? Help?

My first thought was a fruited berliner, but then I considered a sour mash amber ale with plums. 

Any who, just looking for some thoughts and help?

Also, with the fruit being fresh and whole, should I wash and cut up a while or wait till brew day, which is Sunday?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
fruit sour?

do a simply golden ale with some simple sugar and pitch lots of bugs and bottle dregs at it and then add the fruit as well. whole hog
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
fruit sour?

do a simply golden ale with some simple sugar and pitch lots of bugs and bottle dregs at it and then add the fruit as well. whole hog

So pitch the fruits whole when I pitch the yeast?

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
fruited sour for the win!
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
fruit sour?

So pitch the fruits whole when I pitch the yeast?

I would wait till fermentation slows way way down. You could even transfer to a secondary if you wanted to free up a primary fermenter (I say this because I have glass carboys that I never use and I only have 6 or so buckets) I might freeze them first and maybe chop them a  bit. There is some question about adding pits to the beer but I am skeptical about the risks
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
Are there any contamination risks to adding fruit?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster

Yes. Like Mort said, I would wait until primary fermentation is complete. You are less at risk of contamination at this point. Some people will pasteurize the fruit, but I just freeze and thaw. This will kill off bacteria and break up the fruit skin more to allow the flavors to escape into the beer.
Frank

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman

Yes. Like Mort said, I would wait until primary fermentation is complete. You are less at risk of contamination at this point. Some people will pasteurize the fruit, but I just freeze and thaw. This will kill off bacteria and break up the fruit skin more to allow the flavors to escape into the beer.

Mind elaborating on why the risk is down once primary slows?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster

There is a presence of alcohol and a lower pH level. This isn't a great environment for bacteria growth, therefor being less susceptible to contamination.
Frank

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman

There is a presence of alcohol and a lower pH level. This isn't a great environment for bacteria growth, therefor being less susceptible to contamination.

Awesome.  Thanks for the info!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster

Awesome.  Thanks for the info!

No problem... But there are no guarantees here at this point... Just a lot less likely.
Frank

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
What a out boiling them down, pureeing, freezing, then adding? Even leas chance of infection?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
What a out boiling them down, pureeing, freezing, then adding? Even leas chance of infection?

Sure... If you feel that froggy... Take the leap!
Frank

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman

I'm just trying to mitigate any possible risks!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT

I'm just trying to mitigate any possible risks!

wait, we are talking about a sour beer here right? it's going to be infected right? so what's the worry. with the low pH and moderate alcohol content of the mostly finished beer it's unlikely that anything really unpleasent is going to happen. Cooked fruit is not going to taste anything like raw fruit you can steam them or soak them in sanitizer to kill stuff on the outside if you want. still no guarantees but that is sour brewing with fruit.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce