Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lemon Wheat?  (Read 5782 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Lemon Wheat?
« on: July 12, 2013, 07:02:17 pm »
Ok to set the stage, my uncle and I are brew partners and the brewing is all done at his house. I just received a text message from my aunt asking me to brew a beer like Abita Lemon Wheat... Fair enough since she puts up with our shenanigans and doesn't drink the beer we normally brew. Anybody ever brew a lemon wheat and would like to share the recipe?

Normally I would create a trial recipe, but she has endured enough to have a solid and proven beer on tap.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:05:16 pm by fmader »
Frank

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Lemon Wheat?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 07:35:46 pm »
Leinenkugels Summer Shandy. Wheat beer blended with lemonade or you can simply make a traditional hefeweizen and serve with a slice of lemon. Ferment it on the cold side to reduce the banana bomb effect.

Sorachi ace  hops are supposed to produce a lemony citrus flavor as well
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

cornershot

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 07:54:58 pm »
I recently brewed a saison with zest of 1/2 large lemon in the last 10 minutes of boil (5.5 gallons). It was subtle and barely noticeable. Added zest of 1 large lemon for 2 days in secondary and lemon flavor is at a nice level. Complements the saison yeast nicely at that level. I'd say add a little at a time to secondary until you get it where you want it. Don't leave the lemon on the beer for more than a couple days or it will start to taste bitter. Have patience and infuse a little at a time for a short period of time. The last thing you want is to add too much and have 5 gallons of Pledge Wheat.
Good luck!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 09:11:13 pm »
How lemony is that? Like witbier lemony or shady lemony. If you leg, you could always make a wheat beer and blend it with lemonade.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 09:20:40 pm »
How lemony is that? Like witbier lemony or shady lemony. If you leg, you could always make a wheat beer and blend it with lemonade.

I've never had it. I have to try it next time I go over there. I want to say it's more witbier lemony as opposed to shandy lemony. I say this because last summer she drank a butt load of Summer Shandy. I heard her say last weekend that "that stuff is too sweet"
Frank

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 04:56:20 am »

I've never had it. I have to try it next time I go over there. I want to say it's more witbier lemony as opposed to shandy lemony. I say this because last summer she drank a butt load of Summer Shandy. I heard her say last weekend that "that stuff is too sweet"

:: sigh of relief ::

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 05:47:56 am »

:: sigh of relief ::

Yeah no kidding. I still somewhat abide to the old man rule of not fruiting the beer lol. I'll add fruit to the mash, boil, or ferment the beer on top of fruit, but i try and avoid adding fruit to finished beer.
Frank

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 09:00:44 am »
I would go the zest route personally. About an oz at flameout for 5 gallons. Using some citrusy hops would help as well.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 06:00:24 am »
I have made saisons in the past with citrus zest and it turns out great!  If you are going with lemon alone, for a five gallon batch I would use the zest of two to six lemons, depending on the character you want.  0.5 oz. of ground coriander added to the end of the boil will add a nice zing as well, alone or in addition to.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 06:17:37 am »
I have made saisons in the past with citrus zest and it turns out great!  If you are going with lemon alone, for a five gallon batch I would use the zest of two to six lemons, depending on the character you want.  0.5 oz. of ground coriander added to the end of the boil will add a nice zing as well, alone or in addition to.
+1.  You could finish with some Sorachi Ace, to enhance the lemony aromas as well.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 07:51:57 am »
+1.  You could finish with some Sorachi Ace, to enhance the lemony aromas as well.

I'm nervous about using hops because she is not a huge fan of hops... Hence the reason why I was asked to brew this beer. I'm heading to their house to do some racking, bottling, and kegging today. I will try out this beer today and will have more of an idea if what to do. Thanks for all the advice!
Frank