General Category > Beer Recipes

Lemon Wheat?

(1/3) > >>

fmader:
Ok to set the stage, my uncle and I are brew partners and the brewing is all done at his house. I just received a text message from my aunt asking me to brew a beer like Abita Lemon Wheat... Fair enough since she puts up with our shenanigans and doesn't drink the beer we normally brew. Anybody ever brew a lemon wheat and would like to share the recipe?

Normally I would create a trial recipe, but she has endured enough to have a solid and proven beer on tap.

duboman:
Leinenkugels Summer Shandy. Wheat beer blended with lemonade or you can simply make a traditional hefeweizen and serve with a slice of lemon. Ferment it on the cold side to reduce the banana bomb effect.

Sorachi ace  hops are supposed to produce a lemony citrus flavor as well

cornershot:
I recently brewed a saison with zest of 1/2 large lemon in the last 10 minutes of boil (5.5 gallons). It was subtle and barely noticeable. Added zest of 1 large lemon for 2 days in secondary and lemon flavor is at a nice level. Complements the saison yeast nicely at that level. I'd say add a little at a time to secondary until you get it where you want it. Don't leave the lemon on the beer for more than a couple days or it will start to taste bitter. Have patience and infuse a little at a time for a short period of time. The last thing you want is to add too much and have 5 gallons of Pledge Wheat.
Good luck!

Jimmy K:
How lemony is that? Like witbier lemony or shady lemony. If you leg, you could always make a wheat beer and blend it with lemonade.

fmader:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on July 12, 2013, 08:11:13 PM ---How lemony is that? Like witbier lemony or shady lemony. If you leg, you could always make a wheat beer and blend it with lemonade.

--- End quote ---

I've never had it. I have to try it next time I go over there. I want to say it's more witbier lemony as opposed to shandy lemony. I say this because last summer she drank a butt load of Summer Shandy. I heard her say last weekend that "that stuff is too sweet"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version