Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitation  (Read 5378 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Sanitation
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 09:02:00 am »
I'm guessing that the effect of entrapped O2 in the foam is minmal.  FWIW, the foam stays on top of the beer and most of it is removed during the racking process and then you pressurize with the more dense CO2 and that forces the foam and air to the top of the keg.  You purge, and voila, no air or O2.  I wouldn't and don't worry about it.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 10:23:19 am »
And if you purge your keg with CO2 first and then dump in the Starsan, wouldn't all your foam bubbles be filled with CO2 instead of O2 :)
Joe

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 11:26:16 am »
Well, I guess this is your next experiment...figure out how much O2 a given volume of StarSan foam contains!  I'm sure you have nothing better to do!  ;)

Exactly ;).

But its simple enough for me to avoid the foam and as a result I don't have to worry about what impact the air trapped the foam might have. While it would be nice to know if there is a difference in avoiding the foam or tolerating the foam, such an experiment would have little value for me.

Kai

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 12:51:06 pm »
Well, I guess this is your next experiment...figure out how much O2 a given volume of StarSan foam contains!  I'm sure you have nothing better to do!  ;)

Exactly ;).

But its simple enough for me to avoid the foam and as a result I don't have to worry about what impact the air trapped the foam might have. While it would be nice to know if there is a difference in avoiding the foam or tolerating the foam, such an experiment would have little value for me.

Kai

I haven't noticed any off-flavors from the potential effects of O2 trapped in the foam. My beers are typically free of the common side affects of O2 contamination. So I wouldn't concern myself with this alleged condition. YMMV.

I remove as much foam as I can by the effects of gravity only. Any remaining foam is happy...happy...joy...joy!  ;D

Cheers,

Ron
Ron Price