Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jockey Box Plate Chiller Vs Coil for CO2  (Read 3333 times)

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
Jockey Box Plate Chiller Vs Coil for CO2
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:37:26 am »
I am supplying beer for an event in 10 days and my 4-tap jockey box uses two 50 foot SS coils and a 2-place chill plate.  What would be the ideal keg carbonation pressures and delivery presssures between each cooling device.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Jockey Box Plate Chiller Vs Coil for CO2
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 12:07:43 pm »
I would think you would be able to carb as normal beforehand, then serve with just enough pressure to get it through the tap.

If you can, use separate CO2 regulators/manifolds for beers served on each cooling system. If not, NBD, one set will pour a tad faster than the other.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline whitemancanhop

• 1st Kit
Re: Jockey Box Plate Chiller Vs Coil for CO2
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 10:02:40 am »
Depends on temperature and draft line lengths.  If the kegs will be sitting at ambient temperatures and/or if you have long draft lines that can warm up, the gas will want to come out of solution resulting in foamy pours.  In this case dial up the pressure, even if it means a faster pour.  My plate chiller setup needs anywhere from 25-30psi to serve a keg that is sitting out in ambient temps.  If you can keep the kegs chilled, you will likely get away with a serving pressure that is just slightly higher than you use in your fridge.

More times than not, when I see foamy pours from a jocky box, the user has the pressure set too low.
-Tyson
I can explain it to you, but, I can't understand it for you.