Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High Carbonation Bottling  (Read 2302 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
High Carbonation Bottling
« on: July 15, 2013, 01:06:14 pm »
Do you use standard 12 oz. bottles for high carb beers, like a Berliner Weisse, especially for competition?

I would like to bottle condition a BW, but I'm not sure how the bottles will handle the higher volumes of CO2.  I know the general consensus is nothing above 3 volumes in standard bottles.  So does that mean everyone sends higher CO2 beers in special bottles?

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
Re: High Carbonation Bottling
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 02:47:07 pm »
I use the Belgian 375ml bottles (from MoreBeer or Northern Brewer - or collect your own). They are thicker and can handle higher volumes of CO2.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 08:46:47 am »
I use the heavy Belgian bottles for highly carbonated beers.  A few years ago there was an event at a local bar where the representative from Rochefort visited.  A friend picked up a whole bunch of those empties and shared the excess.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:09:15 pm »
I regularly go over 4 volumes in standard 12oz bottles without incident. They're more robust than people would have you believe.

Your best bet would be the Belgian stubbies. These are quite thick and can hold a great deal of carbonation. You'll have gushers way before a bottle fails.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis