Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What breweries/brew pubs should I hit up in downtown Seattle?  (Read 9542 times)

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
Traveling to Seattle for the first time on Friday and will have a day for craft beer.  Any suggestions?
I don't drink a lot but I do drink frequently.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
Re: What breweries/brew pubs should I hit up in downtown Seattle?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:45:24 pm »
Check out the Beer Mapping Project, as a lot depends on where you're staying.
http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=seattle

Right downtown, the Pike is my favorite.
You can get to some other more interesting things by bus, though. I like Big Time Brewing in the University District. Right across the street is Schultzy's Sausage, which has an interesting rotating tap selection. They had a Stone "Best by.." on tap when I was there in January.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 08:54:21 pm »
Elysian Brewing on Pike St.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 11:16:42 pm »
If you are Downtown, Pike is pretty much the only place within a short-decent walk. Elysian on Capitol Hill is nice, and there is a german bierhall/bocce court called Von Trapp's that has good beer. Six arms is run by McMinnamins (Localish Chain Brewpubs). Also, check out the Pine Box if you are going to be on Capitol Hill. It is a decent walk from downtown, and up a pretty steep (for out of towners) hill.

However, if I had one day in Seattle (proper) to drink beer, I would catch the bus to Ballard. There are about 10 different breweries in Ballard alone, and probably another 10 or so really good beer bars. If you only get a day, and don't have a rental car w/ a designated driver, Ballard is your place.

Other Neighborhoods with good beer (Best to Worst, but none are bad). SODO, Fremont, U-District, Greenwood, Georgetown.

But seriously, you could spend a week in the Seattle metropolitan area, do nothing but drink beer, and you would still miss a lot of good beer.

And +1 to the map that brewingrover linked. It is awesome.

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:21:01 am »
Thank you all for the recommendations.  We can't wait!
I don't drink a lot but I do drink frequently.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:16:54 am »
The two best breweries (IMO) are Fremont Brewing in Fremont, and Georgetown Brewing down in Georgetown.  Both have excellent IPA's.  And if you remember the Movie Cool Hand Luke, you'll love their beer called "Lucile"

AHA governing committee member Tom Shmidlin brews at the Bluebird Microcreamery.  I think they have three locations around the Seattle area.   

And.....   If you head out to the Olympic Peninsula, There's a Nano-Nano brewery in Port Angeles called Dungeness Brewing, that makes a pretty good American Amber.  (shameless plug for my own brewery)

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 09:22:45 am »
I'll echo the comments above, especially the part about Ballard.  If you catch the #40 bus heading north from downtown, it will pass through Fremont where you could jump off at 36th and Dayton and grab a bite to eat at Brouwer's Cafe.  (Using the transit directions on Google Maps will help you figure out which stop to get off at.)

After eating you could get back on the 40 at the same stop you got off at and continue on to Ballard.  Have the driver drop you at 15th and Leary and ask the driver to show you where the southbound stop is located so you can find your way back to the city later. 

From 15th and Leary you can easily walk to Reuben's Brews, Populuxe, Hilliards, NW Peaks and Peddler.  All 5 of these breweries were started within the last few years by homebrewers and they each have a unique approach to the same dream most of us share.  When you've had enough, you would just grab the same #40 bus back to the city.  Have a great time!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 12:01:31 pm »
+1 for Georgetown, but do they have a taproom?  I thought they were only selling kegs or growlers.  I am continually impressed with them.  I recently tried their Brown beer - the best Brown I have ever had.

But honestly I also agree with the recommendation to just go to Ballard.  Lots of really good options there.

Oh, here's a really good option for this coming Saturday the 20th:
http://www.phinneycenter.org/summerbeer/

Let the breweries come to you!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:05:32 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 12:03:49 pm »
+1 for Georgetown, but do they have a taproom?  I thought they were only selling kegs or growlers.  I am continually impressed with them.  I recently tried their Brown beer - the best Brown I have ever had.

But honestly I also agree with the recommendation to just go to Ballard.  Lots of really good options there.

Not really.  You cannot buy a beer to drink there.  But, they will give you 5 tasters for free.  And they are about 6oz each. 

And it's a bit amazing to just and watch all the folks coming in for grolwers and kegs.  A very busy place on Saturday afternoons.   

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 12:32:41 pm »
If you don't mind a few decent walks or short cab rides you could easily trek from Pike Brewing downtown to Elysian Fields by the stadiums to Epic Ales gastropod a few blocks south from there then onto Schooner Exact and Two Beers in Sodo. These are all within about 3 miles of each other. Reubens Brews is my favorite Washington brewery if you make it out to Ballard.

Offline ultimate.beer.tour

• 1st Kit
    • OneLife Tours
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 11:48:55 pm »
Elysian Brewing on Pike St.

Gotta agree with this suggestion!  When I head south to Seattle, it's a necessary stop.
Drink Well.  Travel Often.