Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Freezer Operation in Hot Garage  (Read 3160 times)

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
Freezer Operation in Hot Garage
« on: July 19, 2013, 11:15:46 am »
After reading a facebook post on operation of home AC units and them freezing up when being cranked, I slowly have not been able to keep a temp of 32 in my upright freezer which is in my (100F?) garage.  I'm not home to check it, but I think it was froze up.  For those who have freezers in their garage, would this be normal?  Note the freezer was bought about 3 months ago, new from Sears.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Freezer Operation in Hot Garage
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:26:11 am »
I have 2 freezers with food in my garage, one chest freezer with beer at 36F, and a beer fridge with top freezer full of frozen hops.  They all work just great and my garage temp is very often over 110F  I think you have a bad freezer.
Are you using it as a freezer or kegerator?  Do you have an external thermostat or just the regular factory one?
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:56:07 am »
No, that definitely is not normal. I have three chest freezers in a hot garage, all capable of freezing temps if that is where they are set. Have sears come get it or fix it.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:28:05 pm »
Have sears come get it or fix it.

I wouldn't let the fix it.  Make them replace it.  Luckily, you should still be under warranty.

Sears Home Service (or whatever they call themselves) is the worst group I've ever dealt with. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 02:13:34 pm »
Are you using it as a freezer or kegerator?  Do you have an external thermostat or just the regular factory one?

I bought it to keep my conical in it.  Since the upper barrel of the conical is 20" diameter, I needed to remove the door shelf in order for the door to shut.  While there was no insulation in the shelving this has caused me some problems with the door gasket coming loose at the bottom; but the gasket still appears to be sealed well.

I use an external controller and in thinking it was malfunctioning I check its temperature with two other thermometers.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 03:28:32 pm »
Always check your exterior coils for dirt build up too.  Too much lint on the coils can cause lines to freeze up.

This isn't likely to be the problem but it is the first thing I check whenever anyone asks for help with a fridge.  Lack of airflow causes all kinds of problems.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?