Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much effect does repeated foaming have on head retention?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Inspired by a recent discussion about foaming and head retention I conducted a simple experiment where I shook up one beer sample repeatedly while the other was shaken only once. That one time shaking was necessary to make the experiment simpler.

In the end I was not able to detect any significant difference in head retention between both samples. I don't think that it is a myth that foaming affects head retention, I just think that its impact is too small to be noticed by this experiment.

Here is the write-up with pictures: How much effect does repeated foaming have on head retention?

Kai

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: How much effect does repeated foaming have on head retention?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 01:05:12 am »
I never thought it made a difference when I shook anything to force-carb it. I wondered if there was an effect but head retention wasn't affected.

It would seem that such abuse to the beer would bruise it somehow- but it doesn't. Nice experiment Kai.

Were those glasses totally free from oils and detergents..? ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How much effect does repeated foaming have on head retention?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:34:53 am »
I agree with you, Kai, that I don't think it's a myth, but I've never been able to detect any negative effects.  I've always wondered if maybe it's because I have enough foam positive elements in the beer so that even if some gets "used up", there's still plenty.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell