Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: a little flaked corn and flaked barley in Witbier?  (Read 3703 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
a little flaked corn and flaked barley in Witbier?
« on: July 16, 2013, 07:04:26 am »
I have the Witbier recipe from BCS which I've brewed the last 2 summers and like it. For 10 gal it is 9.5# pale malt, 8.5# flaked wheat, 0.5# light Munich, and 2.0# flaked oats.

I have a half a pound each of flaked corn and flaked barley sitting around with no plans to use them, and was wondering what would happen if I just toss them in the mash, maybe reducing the pale malt by a pound, or half a pound. That would change just 5% of the grain bill, and I probably wouldn't notice it, right? But at least would use up two things that would otherwise just sit around.

-red

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: a little flaked corn and flaked barley in Witbier?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:09:42 am »
The flaked barley would make a fine replacement for some of the oats. The corn you could through in to up the ABV a little. You probably wouldn't notice the difference. I wouldn't pull out any pale malt to compensate unless you want a thinner body.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:19:09 am »
I like flaked barley in the place of flaked oats/wheat because it doesn't have as much of a flavor contribution - its strictly for body and head retention.

How old is the flaked corn? Flaked corn doesn't have a terribly long shelf life. I love it in several summer recipes to lighten the body and add a pleasant sweet-corn note, but it smells/tastes stale when its past its prime.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:29:03 am »
The flaked corn came from Brewmaster's Warehouse in April, so it's a couple months old... is that too old?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 12:13:11 pm »
I find that flaked barley definitely has a significant flavor contribution.  Its very grainy and can easily overwhelm a lightly flavored beer.  I experimented with flaked barley in about a half dozen batches before deciding it is best used in very small quantities in light flavored beers.  Its contribution to head building is impressive even at very low percentage.  That may not be a good thing if you want a pour that you're not going to have to wait on for 5 minutes before drinking.  I suggest that keeping the percentage well under 1% is wise in light flavored beers. 

Once you are sensitized to its flavor as I've been, you will recognize it fairly easily in beers.  I pick it up in Dry Stout, but the combination of roast and the barley taste are fairly complementary.  That is not the case in a light colored beer. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 02:07:02 pm »
The flaked corn came from Brewmaster's Warehouse in April, so it's a couple months old... is that too old?

Nah - I assumed it was laying in the bottom of a 'miscellaneous' bin for a year or so. Should be okay!

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 02:15:50 pm »
I find that flaked barley definitely has a significant flavor contribution.  Its very grainy and can easily overwhelm a lightly flavored beer.  I experimented with flaked barley in about a half dozen batches before deciding it is best used in very small quantities in light flavored beers.  Its contribution to head building is impressive even at very low percentage.  That may not be a good thing if you want a pour that you're not going to have to wait on for 5 minutes before drinking.  I suggest that keeping the percentage well under 1% is wise in light flavored beers. 

Once you are sensitized to its flavor as I've been, you will recognize it fairly easily in beers.  I pick it up in Dry Stout, but the combination of roast and the barley taste are fairly complementary.  That is not the case in a light colored beer.

Its always been a staple in my higher-gravity stouts and IPAs, so I guess I'm either masking it with malt/hops or associating the flavor with my base malt - Good to know!

Now I'm tempted to make a small beer with the last bit of runnings so I can figure out what it tastes like!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 03:53:06 pm »
I find that flaked barley definitely has a significant flavor contribution.  Its very grainy and can easily overwhelm a lightly flavored beer. 

+1 - I get a raw grain flavor that I just can't get past in a light beer. I'd much rather use oats or Carapils if needed.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer