General Category > Beer Recipes

a little flaked corn and flaked barley in Witbier?

<< < (2/2)

kylekohlmorgen:

--- Quote from: redzim on July 16, 2013, 07:29:03 AM ---The flaked corn came from Brewmaster's Warehouse in April, so it's a couple months old... is that too old?

--- End quote ---

Nah - I assumed it was laying in the bottom of a 'miscellaneous' bin for a year or so. Should be okay!

kylekohlmorgen:

--- Quote from: mabrungard on July 16, 2013, 11:13:11 AM ---I find that flaked barley definitely has a significant flavor contribution.  Its very grainy and can easily overwhelm a lightly flavored beer.  I experimented with flaked barley in about a half dozen batches before deciding it is best used in very small quantities in light flavored beers.  Its contribution to head building is impressive even at very low percentage.  That may not be a good thing if you want a pour that you're not going to have to wait on for 5 minutes before drinking.  I suggest that keeping the percentage well under 1% is wise in light flavored beers. 

Once you are sensitized to its flavor as I've been, you will recognize it fairly easily in beers.  I pick it up in Dry Stout, but the combination of roast and the barley taste are fairly complementary.  That is not the case in a light colored beer.

--- End quote ---

Its always been a staple in my higher-gravity stouts and IPAs, so I guess I'm either masking it with malt/hops or associating the flavor with my base malt - Good to know!

Now I'm tempted to make a small beer with the last bit of runnings so I can figure out what it tastes like!

erockrph:

--- Quote from: mabrungard on July 16, 2013, 11:13:11 AM ---I find that flaked barley definitely has a significant flavor contribution.  Its very grainy and can easily overwhelm a lightly flavored beer. 

--- End quote ---

+1 - I get a raw grain flavor that I just can't get past in a light beer. I'd much rather use oats or Carapils if needed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version