Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Burton salts to sub for lack of enough gypsum?  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Burton salts to sub for lack of enough gypsum?
« on: July 13, 2013, 03:11:34 pm »
Is this a bad idea or would a moderate amount of substitution be acceptable?
I also have some calcium carbonate but its for a Pils so I dont want to over do it. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Burton salts to sub for lack of enough gypsum?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 05:38:50 am »
If you have a good idea of what the composition of the Burton salts is, then it may be OK.  Hopefully you have a guide of how much to add. 

I'm curious about your use of calcium carbonate?  There is little use for that in Pils brewing, so I'm wondering why you would be considering them?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:04:42 am »
Thanks Martin, I was just listing what I had available on hand.  I use Bru'n Water to calculate my additions which with my soft water here in Oregon almost exclusively prescribes gypsum and calcium chloride and some acid for the sparge water.  I had enough gypsum for the mash addition but only about a third of what was needed for the sparge water. I ended up just adding burton salt to equal another third of what the calcium chloride should have been.  The beer is actually kind of an experiment using my pils base  with a touch of munich and Nelson sauvin hops, so yeah not really a pils at all but I appreciate the feedback nonetheless.

I do have another question about the software.  Generally it call for me to add ~1.5 ml of lactic acid to my sparge water to get the pH in the neighborhood of about 5.7.  When I test my sparge water post addition, I never get much lower than about 6.7 down from an non-treated pH of 7.8.  Even when I've boosted the addition by about 25%.  Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 06:37:41 am »
It sounds like the water has more alkalinity than what is reported.  Water supplies and quality can vary in some places, so the discrepancy may not be surprising.  I assume that your acid quality and strength are valid. 

Another thing to be aware of is that the recent version 1.15 of Bru'n Water had a little error in it with respect to acids using % strength.  That has been corrected in version 1.16 and 1.16a.  The 'a' version had a little tweek to correct a problem when using sulfuric acid.  Of course, all brewers should be using the most up to date version of the program. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:31:21 pm »
Thanks again Martin. I always appreciate your inputs. I'll make sure I'm updated to the latest version.  I bought the 88% lactic at a local HBS.  Do you recommend ordering from a more reliable source?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified