Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Golden Ale Recipe  (Read 15434 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Golden Ale Recipe
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 10:37:52 am »
So I did a little research and was able to track down my city water report. If I were to mix this with RO water would I be able to survive without adding anything else? I think I will geve JDS357's recipe a shot.

ALKALINITY, TOTAL 306 mg/L
BICARBONATE AS HCO3 346 mg /L
CALCIUM 80 mg /L
CONDUCTIVITY @ 25 C 917 UMHO/cm
HARDNESS, TOTAL (AS CAC03) 317 mg /L
IRON 0.2 mg /L
IRON, DISSOLVED 210 μg /L
MAGNESIUM 26 mg /L
MANGANESE 9.5 μg/L
PH 7.6
TDS 577 mg /L
GROUNDWATER TEMPERATURE 50 ‐ 60 deg F
AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE 0 ‐100 deg F
ALTITUDE 4,250 ft

With that kind of alkalinity, I'd guess you need to go with all RO water and not use any of yours.  BTW, there is a lot of important info missing from your water report.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 10:53:54 am »
So I did a little research and was able to track down my city water report. If I were to mix this with RO water would I be able to survive without adding anything else? I think I will geve JDS357's recipe a shot.

ALKALINITY, TOTAL 306 mg/L
BICARBONATE AS HCO3 346 mg /L
CALCIUM 80 mg /L
CONDUCTIVITY @ 25 C 917 UMHO/cm
HARDNESS, TOTAL (AS CAC03) 317 mg /L
IRON 0.2 mg /L
IRON, DISSOLVED 210 μg /L
MAGNESIUM 26 mg /L
MANGANESE 9.5 μg/L
PH 7.6
TDS 577 mg /L
GROUNDWATER TEMPERATURE 50 ‐ 60 deg F
AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE 0 ‐100 deg F
ALTITUDE 4,250 ft

BTW, there is a lot of important info missing from your water report.

Agreed.

Sulfate and Chloride is a prerequisite for good brewing water, especially the ratio of the two.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 10:59:04 am »
Agreed.

Sulfate and Chloride is a prerequisite for good brewing water, especially the ratio of the two.

Kinda tangential, but these days I think less about the ratio and more about the values themselves.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 11:39:01 am »
 [/quote]

BTW, there is a lot of important info missing from your water report.
[/quote]

Agreed.

[/quote]

Well I guess I will look into it further to see if I can find the rest of the info.

On another note though, I decided to change up my planned recipe, and do a bit of a Dead Guy Ale clone I found on this site. What do you think?

8 lb. Maris Otter Pale 2row
1 lb. Munich
1 lb. Crystal 20
1 oz. Perle for 60
.5 oz. Saaz for 10
.5 oz Saaz for 1

Mash temp of 150 for 60 minutes.

Assuming I can get 70% effeciency I should have an OG of 1.051 and a FG of 1.010

Any suggestions on a good ale yeast for this?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 12:09:42 pm »
I believe rogue uses pacman

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 12:23:37 pm »
Yep, for nearly everything.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 12:30:49 pm »
Don't have a recipe in front of me but golden ale is pretty easy. 2 row base (you can blend in some maris otter if you like), little 20L crystal, maybe a bit of Munich or Vienna, blend it all on your recipe formulator till you get the color you want, bitterness around 18-24 BUs and a noble type aroma hop. American Ale yeast or German Ale yeast. Ferment on the cooler side. Bingo!

This actually sounds pretty tasty!
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 06:14:39 pm »
Don't have a recipe in front of me but golden ale is pretty easy. 2 row base (you can blend in some maris otter if you like), little 20L crystal, maybe a bit of Munich or Vienna, blend it all on your recipe formulator till you get the color you want, bitterness around 18-24 BUs and a noble type aroma hop. American Ale yeast or German Ale yeast. Ferment on the cooler side. Bingo!

This actually sounds pretty tasty!

Thanks! If you brew it post the recipe! :)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 11:33:17 pm »
Agreed.

Kinda tangential, but these days I think less about the ratio and more about the values themselves.

+1 - While the ratio gives you a rough idea of balance, I find it much more useful to think of them as individual ingredients. It's not like they're simply two sides of a coin (malty vs hoppy) as the ratio might lead you to believe. Sulfate and Chloride do two different things, and with the excellent calculators out there now from Martin and Kai you can really dial that in with a great deal of control.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer