Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pin lock VS Ball Lock  (Read 20292 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Pin lock VS Ball Lock
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 10:25:44 am »
Hopefully the price of new ball locks will fall as people start to buy more. I've already seen them sold for ~$90 in multi-packs. Given the hastle of some used kegs, I'd pay a premium for new. I think if it dropped to $75 or so it would be great.
The ones I have seen for $90-100 new are made in China.

I picked up a nice 3 gallon ball lock in S. TX for $30, at a flea market last month.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 10:37:54 am »
NB has single handle new 5 gallons for $120.  I believe they are the Italian ones, not the Chinese.

I've got a couple 2.5 gallon Chinese kegs.  They work just fine but have noticeably thinner steel and no rubber bottom.

BTW, that's a score on the 3 gallon keg as I'm sure you know.  Wish I had more of those.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 11:26:49 am »
BTW, that's a score on the 3 gallon keg as I'm sure you know.  Wish I had more of those.
Disn't bother to negotiate on the price, just said I would take it.  :)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 02:28:01 pm »
I've got one that is very difficult to seal. I've been using my used kegs for fermenters and bought a couple new Italian kegs for serving. If I buy more kegs in the future, they'll be new.
Jesse

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 09:51:12 am »
So my decision was made due to finances.  i scored 8 5 gallon pinlocks for 250 bucks.  now i just need to research the rest of the equipment i need.  ill probably use them as fermentors to start and work my way up:)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 10:08:58 am »
That's a very good price.  Be aware, kegs seem to reproduce.  More is never enough.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 10:14:47 am »
yeah and unfortunately thats very true for my personality, but right now im looking at purchasing an electric brewery style setup, so 8 is what ive got for now:)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 03:28:48 pm »
Thats very strange.  all the literature ive read suggests that ball lock kegs where created in a far higher quantity then pin lock.  While the soda industry doesnt use them any more i guess we can assume that homebrewers have eaten up all the ball locks.

The small Pepsi distributor in my town still uses ball lock kegs, but will be starting the switch in a couple months.  As I already own about 50 ball locks, I'm hoping to get their industrial keg washer.  That thing cleans 5 at a time.  (Woo Hoo)

Offline rlester

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 01:54:07 pm »
Either is fine. I have all ball locks because that's what i started with but they're getting harder to come by these days.
+1

Personally I wouldn't bother with 2.5 or 3 gallon kegs unless space requirements absolutely require it. you can put 2.5 or 3 gallons of beer in a 5 gallon keg but not vice versa.
+1