Author Topic: Golden Ale Recipe  (Read 6330 times)

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
    • View Profile
Golden Ale Recipe
« on: July 18, 2013, 05:21:49 PM »
I am planning on doing my first all grain batch in the next week or so and wanted to do something that would be good for tailgating. The people I tailgate with range from beer lovers to Natty Light drinkers and I wanted to try to get something that would be good for as many as possible, and was thinking a lighlty hopped golden would be the ticket. Any body have any recipe's I could work from, or ideas of what is needed?

Offline klickitat jim

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Ale Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 05:31:13 PM »
Light colored light flavored beers are not easy to get right in my opinion. I'd go with a tried and true APA.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline djsanta

• Cellarman
  • "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »
Nov/Dec 2011 Zymurgy has a recipe for English Summer Ale in the Express Brewing article .  I recently made it, and it was a big hit with both my craft beer drinking friends as well as the Coors Light drinkers.
On Tap: nada
Conditioning: Pale Ale
Fermenting: Weizen
Planned: Doppelbock, Imperial Red, Oatmeal Stout, DIPA

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »
Don't have a recipe in front of me but golden ale is pretty easy. 2 row base (you can blend in some maris otter if you like), little 20L crystal, maybe a bit of Munich or Vienna, blend it all on your recipe formulator till you get the color you want, bitterness around 18-24 BUs and a noble type aroma hop. American Ale yeast or German Ale yeast. Ferment on the cooler side. Bingo!
Cowboy. Pirate. Brewer.

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 08:12:18 PM »
Light colored light flavored beers are not easy to get right in my opinion. I'd go with a tried and true APA.

I am guessing this is due to the lack of hop and malt flavor that may otherwise coverup slight off flavors in a bigger beer?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »
I think light flavored beers are easy enough. Three rules. Pitch enough yeast. Aerate well. Pitch and ferment cool. Oh, and #4) monitor pH. Depending on your water you may need to acidifying your mash some. Little lactic acid and calcium chloride will do the trick. Kind of on the same lines: Water could be an issue and RO water may be necessary to blend with your tap or build from scratch, depends on your source. For me, to make a good pale beer I'm best off blending my tap 40:60 Tap:RO (have to add a little calcium back). But I can get the pH right and make a passable very pale beer with acid and calcium chloride and 100% tap water.

Nailing your pH will help assist in crystal clear beer for any style, but it becomes very critical with very pale beer.
Cowboy. Pirate. Brewer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 08:39:50 PM »
I think light flavored beers are easy enough. Three rules. Pitch enough yeast. Aerate well. Pitch and ferment cool. Oh, and #4) monitor pH. Depending on your water you may need to acidifying your mash some. Little lactic acid and calcium chloride will do the trick. Kind of on the same lines: Water could be an issue and RO water may be necessary to blend with your tap or build from scratch, depends on your source. For me, to make a good pale beer I'm best off blending my tap 40:60 Tap:RO (have to add a little calcium back). But I can get the pH right and make a passable very pale beer with acid and calcium chloride and 100% tap water.

Nailing your pH will help assist in crystal clear beer for any style, but it becomes very critical with very pale beer.
Cowboy. Pirate. Brewer.

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 06:01:41 AM »
Oh, and #4) monitor pH. Depending on your water you may need to acidifying your mash some. Little lactic acid and calcium chloride will do the trick. Kind of on the same lines: Water could be an issue and RO water may be necessary to blend with your tap or build from scratch, depends on your source. For me, to make a good pale beer I'm best off blending my tap 40:60 Tap:RO (have to add a little calcium back). But I can get the pH right and make a passable very pale beer with acid and calcium chloride and 100% tap water.

When you say RO water, what does that mean? I never use my tap water because I am not a fan of the flavor. for my extract batches I have always used distilled, but I know that is a bad idea for full grain so I was just planning on getting spring water, but I really have no idea the chemical makeup of what I buy. I was hoping my lhbs could give me an idea.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 06:11:52 AM »

When you say RO water, what does that mean?

Reverse Osmosis water. You can get this from some grocery stores or from a home RO machine/filter. On a basic level, it removes ions and minerals to a somewhat trace level.
Amanda Burkemper
Kansas City Bier Meister; BJCP Master
Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline jds357

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 06:24:18 AM »
I am planning on doing my first all grain batch in the next week or so and wanted to do something that would be good for tailgating. The people I tailgate with range from beer lovers to Natty Light drinkers and I wanted to try to get something that would be good for as many as possible, and was thinking a lighlty hopped golden would be the ticket. Any body have any recipe's I could work from, or ideas of what is needed?

Hey man,

Here's a recipe I made.  It's pretty simple and it tastes great.  The weight in parentheses is for a 5.50 gal batch.

Mash temp: 150 degrees
90% Pilsnen Malt (8lbs 8.4 oz)
5% White Wheat Malt (8 oz)
5% Aromatic Malt (8 oz)

75 min boil
@ 65 1.00 oz Saaz
@ 20 .5 oz Saaz
@ 10 irish moss

OG: 1.048
Pitch WLP 029 (Kolsch Yeast) or a similar strain
FG: 1.010

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 06:47:24 AM »
Oh, and #4) monitor pH. Depending on your water you may need to acidifying your mash some. Little lactic acid and calcium chloride will do the trick. Kind of on the same lines: Water could be an issue and RO water may be necessary to blend with your tap or build from scratch, depends on your source. For me, to make a good pale beer I'm best off blending my tap 40:60 Tap:RO (have to add a little calcium back). But I can get the pH right and make a passable very pale beer with acid and calcium chloride and 100% tap water.

When you say RO water, what does that mean? I never use my tap water because I am not a fan of the flavor. for my extract batches I have always used distilled, but I know that is a bad idea for full grain so I was just planning on getting spring water, but I really have no idea the chemical makeup of what I buy. I was hoping my lhbs could give me an idea.

Yeah, RO is similar to distilled. Little more mineral content depending on the RO system that is being used. Heck of a lot cheaper than distilled. But if you are using distilled you should be able to use some simple calculations to get your water up to what you need for a pale, clear colorer beer. Main thing you want to target is about 50 ppms of calcium. You want to have at least that for yeast health and enzyme activity. I don't think you will have any problems making a nice Golden Ale with this route.
Cowboy. Pirate. Brewer.

Offline jds357

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 07:54:23 AM »
Nestle Pure life is very good commercial water if you want to use RO.

Online HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 07:56:18 AM »

Hey man,

Here's a recipe I made.  It's pretty simple and it tastes great.  The weight in parentheses is for a 5.50 gal batch.

Mash temp: 150 degrees
90% Pilsnen Malt (8lbs 8.4 oz)
5% White Wheat Malt (8 oz)
5% Aromatic Malt (8 oz)

75 min boil
@ 65 1.00 oz Saaz
@ 20 .5 oz Saaz
@ 10 irish moss

OG: 1.048
Pitch WLP 029 (Kolsch Yeast) or a similar strain
FG: 1.010
That's a pretty solid, easy recipe.  I've brewed something similar several times.  +1 to RO and Bru'nWater.
Jon H.

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 09:00:58 AM »
So I did a little research and was able to track down my city water report. If I were to mix this with RO water would I be able to survive without adding anything else? I think I will geve JDS357's recipe a shot.

ALKALINITY, TOTAL 306 mg/L
BICARBONATE AS HCO3 346 mg /L
CALCIUM 80 mg /L
CONDUCTIVITY @ 25 C 917 UMHO/cm
HARDNESS, TOTAL (AS CAC03) 317 mg /L
IRON 0.2 mg /L
IRON, DISSOLVED 210 μg /L
MAGNESIUM 26 mg /L
MANGANESE 9.5 μg/L
PH 7.6
TDS 577 mg /L
GROUNDWATER TEMPERATURE 50 ‐ 60 deg F