Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP category doubt  (Read 1857 times)

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
BJCP category doubt
« on: July 19, 2013, 11:30:42 am »
Hello! i brewed an small version of the red velvet (http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/RedVelvet) I lowered the OG and the IBU following the same recipe trying to fit it as an american amber ale with rye. It has all the elements of an AAA...OG 1060, 40 IBU and great color. i am going to enter this brew to a BJCP competition but i dont really know if it fits totally into a american amber ale category (10B) because of the dryhops and rye flavor or do i need to enter on the specialty beer category 23A as a red rye ale. What would you do?

thanks!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BJCP category doubt
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:47:05 am »
this is a tough call without tasting it.

if it is fairly well balanced, if it is not too hop-forward, and if the rye just adds some malt complexity/wouldn't be picked out by many, I'd probably go 10B.

if you taste it and say "mmm, rye!" then go 23.  Just be aware that plenty of people are not good at detecting rye and often ask for more of it.  Since that would be your only specialty characteristic at that point it needs to show up.  "Imperial Red with rye" would have two things pushing it to 23; yours just has the one unless the hop character is extremely high.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:54:05 am »
it has a lot of centennial-amarillo on late hop addition and dry hop too....so? would be a 23?

i think its pretty close to the rogue dry hopped st red ale, and that is called amber ale...

Im confused

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:11:45 pm »
Amber ale can be highly hopped.  A lot of people prefer it sort of like a red version of an IPA, and I think it will score well that way.  Go ahead and consider it a Category 10B.  I think you're fine.

By the way... I figure about 95% of people out there have no idea what rye tastes like.  Including judges.  Rye should never be a factor in whether to consider something in style or out of style, until you hit perhaps 30% or more of rye in the grist.  Otherwise, no worries.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 03:09:12 pm »
Enter it in both and see which one it scores better in  ;)
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 03:52:47 pm »
Thanks for your comments guys! :D