Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Primary - Aging Question  (Read 2262 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Primary - Aging Question
« on: August 04, 2013, 09:09:00 pm »
I've only done one beer (last year's winter warmer) which I transferred to a secondary fermenter and let sit for for an extended period of time (6 mos).  I'm currently fermenting a Belgian Dubbel and planning to leave it in the fermenter for 2-3 months before kegging.  My question is, would it be OK to just leave it in the primary fermenter for 2-3 months or should I transfer to a secondary fermenter after a month and let sit another 1-2 months?  I'm not adding anything to the beer post fermentation if that makes any difference.  Thanks!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Primary - Aging Question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 09:39:26 pm »
I'd get it off the yeast if I was going to age it. And I would age in the bottle personally

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 09:47:27 pm »
That's what I'm thinking, but if it is OK to leave in primary I'll do that.  I plan on kegging to get a good carbonation on it and then bottling half using my Blichmann Beer Gun.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 09:49:42 pm »
Age in keg. I'd be worried about yeast dying and rupturing (Autolysis) and destroying your great beer.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 09:53:11 pm »
Oh, I didn't think of that!  I'll do that, transfer to keg, put some CO2 to purge out the O2 and let sit in my basement for a month or two.  Then connect it up in the fridge and carbonate it.  Thanks!
Jeremy Baker

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 10:00:08 pm »
No problem glad to help. There are experts here that can go much deeper on the subject. Good luck. Wish I had your patience

Online reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 08:38:52 am »
You will not have an autolysis problem after 2-3 months.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 08:52:47 am »
You will not have an autolysis problem after 2-3 months.

Thanks, I was wondering how long it takes to start worrying about autolysis.  I keg most of my beers after 4-6 weeks in primary.  If it is OK to just leave it for 2 months, then I'll do that and keg it. 

I'll be brewing my winter warmer soon and will age that till December.  Unlike last year when I aged in a secondary carboy, I'll take Jim's suggestion and age it in a keg (this gives me an excuse to get more kegs!)
Jeremy Baker