Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitizer left in carboy...  (Read 5157 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Sanitizer left in carboy...
« on: July 19, 2013, 01:49:26 pm »
My theory is correct, something always happens unexpectedly on a brew day.  I forgot to drain the sanitizer out of one of my carboys before racking.

It was approxiamately 2 cups of properly diluted Star San, with distilled water.  I've got app.  5.5 gallons of wort in the carboy now.

Thoughts?  I know phosphoric acid is actually good for the yeast and found in a lot of soda's, but is this too much concentration?  And is the distilled water contaminated from sanitizing the vessel?  I've always heard don't reuse sanitizer once you've sanitized something, that's why I make the last comment. 

I'm going to ferment it out, just want to know what to expect!
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Sanitizer left in carboy...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 02:11:47 pm »
2 cups in 5.5 gallons? That's nothing. There was an article about an experiment a while back where some guys intentionally put starsan in a split batch and they could not tell the difference between the two.  Something to that effect. But you don't need to worry about this case.
Jesse

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 03:01:30 pm »
I would have no concerns at all. I usually leave a 6.5 gallon bucket around for at least a month or so full of Star San mix and use the vessels it sits in many times with no issues at all. Once the pH of the star san changes and it is no longer viable I dump it but I usually get a few brew days out of it easily
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Jarhno

• Cellarman
  • You can call me John. (Portland, OR.)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:43:12 pm »
I wouldn't think that such a small quantity would be a big deal. The guy who works at my LHBS and started a nano brewery told me that some brewers literally spray-bottle Starsan over the top of their beer after pitching the yeast and before sealing the fermentor.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.  - Frank Zappa

cornershot

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:04:31 pm »
I wouldn't think that such a small quantity would be a big deal. The guy who works at my LHBS and started a nano brewery told me that some brewers literally spray-bottle Starsan over the top of their beer after pitching the yeast and before sealing the fermentor.

So I guess the logic for spraying star san on top is to kill airborne bacteria and wild yeast that may have settled on the surface of the wort in the few seconds that the lid/bung was removed. I would think the star san would be diluted with wort long before the required 30 or 60 second contact time. Has anyone else heard of this technique? I can't make sense of it.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:33:55 am »

So I guess the logic for spraying star san on top is to kill airborne bacteria and wild yeast that may have settled on the surface of the wort in the few seconds that the lid/bung was removed. I would think the star san would be diluted with wort long before the required 30 or 60 second contact time. Has anyone else heard of this technique? I can't make sense of it.
I've heard of that technique... It's technical name is paranoia.
Mark Gres

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:44:45 am »

+1.060!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 01:05:46 pm »

+1.060!

:)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim