Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Amber Malt  (Read 3658 times)

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Amber Malt
« on: July 20, 2013, 02:51:57 pm »
Have a question about amber malt (Fawcett). Decided to do an APA and wanted something a tad different. Without really thinking about it I grabbed some Amber malt. About 5% of the grain bill. The rest is Briess Pale (85%) and Munich 10L (10%).

So, after I'd already committed to the recipe, it's in the fermenter, I decided to read about Amber malt as I'd never used it. I really can't find much. At 5% I don't think I've crossed into the American Amber category - and the Amber recipes i saw used crystal and some Munich, but no amber. I used the forums search function best I could and at best it seems amber just isn't a popular malt to use.

So, lots of questions. Does any one use amber? What types of beer? Preference over Victory or Biscuit? What % in the grist?

Thanks,
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Amber Malt
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 03:07:32 pm »
I've used Amber before in a Porter.  It's similar (to me) to Biscuit or Victory, except more intense, a little redder, and slightly roasty.  I think @ 5% it won't be overbearing, but I wouldn't use a large % in a pale beer.  It is really good in Brown, Porter, or Stout though.
Jon H.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 07:09:50 pm »
I've used Amber before in a Porter.  It's similar (to me) to Biscuit or Victory, except more intense, a little redder, and slightly roasty.  I think @ 5% it won't be overbearing, but I wouldn't use a large % in a pale beer.  It is really good in Brown, Porter, or Stout though.
This is a really good description. I've been experimenting with some different "character" malts in my APA, and used 5% Amber in it recently. I really like the result, but that little bit of roasty edge probably pushes it out of an APA if you're worried about style guidelines. I think it would be great in a bitter, amber, brown, porter, etc.
Mark Gres

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 07:21:58 pm »
This is a really good description. I've been experimenting with some different "character" malts in my APA, and used 5% Amber in it recently. I really like the result, but that little bit of roasty edge probably pushes it out of an APA if you're worried about style guidelines. I think it would be great in a bitter, amber, brown, porter, etc.

+1 to all this. Amber Malt used to be what gave my beers a "house" character, so I've used it quite a bit. In addition to what's been stated, I found it gave a black tea kind of character to my beer in higher percentage, around 10%. A little goes a long way. I liked it a lot more in my bitters, ESBs, and porters, than my APA, FWIW.
Kyle M.

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 08:26:29 am »
Thanks everyone. Good point about the style guidelines and no, I'm not concerned as this is for me and friends. I suppose I'd be more conservative with the recipe if I was brewing for a comp. this will be a stretch for friends, though. The most popular beer in the neighborhood is currently IPAs that are lighter, drier and citrusy. That's what I'd been brewing the last several batches and I wanted something different. Sounds like this'll be different, so hey, success!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain