Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Want to plant a hachiya, can I?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Want to plant a hachiya, can I?
« on: July 23, 2013, 06:36:00 pm »
I have this tiny house with a small front yard, near as I can tell 11 foot wide, 15'7" foot from house to sidewalk, and 6 feet from lawn to the edge of the sidewalk.

Trying to figure out if I can put a Hachiya Persimmon or a Hachiya grafted on American native out front, maybe 12 10.5 feet from the house.  It has to be a hachiya; I don't eat any other type.  Americans generally prefer Fuyu--which is very amenable to my needs--because they prefer firm fruit, but I strongly prefer the flavor and the soft gelatinized Hachiya fruit.  It's not worth putting a tree there at all if it's not a Hachiya.

I simply can't find enough about the root system.  The power lines are in the rear, not out front; I'm mostly worried about the root system attacking the basement wall, but as I understand these are more rooted by a deep tap root than a wide root system.  The roots are vulnerable to crowding, so growing near a wall is more an issue of the health of the tree--unlike oak, which will destroy s*** in its way.

Still, you see my problem.  I don't want to find out later that those roots really are nasty.  No luck with finding any good info.  It's looking like I could make it with a dwarf, which grows some 12 feet tall... less than satisfactory I guess, as I wanted a shade tree for the sun-facing end of the house... but it will shade the porch, so that's a plus.  Yes I know, mowing around a tree is annoying.  I use a reel mower (Fisker) or a Scythe, both of which are absolutely fantastic for mowing the lawn.  The scythe takes more practice and a little more work, but will do whatever you want.

Thoughts?

EDIT:  Looks like the dwarf grows a 12 foot circle, so 6 foot needed between it and the house.  Should be plenty.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:45:11 pm by bluefoxicy »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Want to plant a hachiya, can I?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 07:59:33 pm »
Hey BFI, long time no post
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:26:31 pm »
My persimmon trees don't have broad root systems. Course they are native. This might not help...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:29:49 pm by majorvices »

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 10:50:33 pm »
My persimmon trees don't have broad root systems. Course they are native. This might not help...

It does help.  The trees I'm looking at are Asian grafted to Native.  Native is the root stock.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 04:11:48 am »
Long answer: no.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis