Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing Harvested Yeast/Slurry  (Read 2846 times)

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
Storing Harvested Yeast/Slurry
« on: March 12, 2010, 06:09:47 am »
I have read various articles/posts about storing harvested yeast/slurry (both frozen and refridgerated), and noticed some concern about fluctuating temperatures harming the viability of the yeast.  I know the temperature controller I have on my Beer Fridge (converted from an upright freezer) can fluctuate 4 degrees.  Articles that discussed freezing yeast (I don't do this yet) say that a frost free freezer should not be used because the yeast wiil alternatly freeze and thaw, freeze and thaw.

To the point of this post.  I was talking with the head brewer at a local brewery (Cheers to Highland Brewing in Asheville, NC) and he said to store the slurry in an ice bath in the fridge.  This will keep refridgerated samples at a more constant temp.  This hit me as such an easy solution.  I'm sure many of the more expirienced brewers do this, but I thought I would throw it out there for us "newbies".

I'm not sure if you could over come the pitfalls of a frost free freezer by freezing the sample in ice.
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Storing Harvested Yeast/Slurry
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:44:30 am »
Storing the yeast in an ice bath in the refrigerator would minimize the temp swings but you would have to monitor the bath as the ice melted and continue to add ice over time. I haven't experienced any obvious issues with storing yeast in the refrigerator. I guess if it's not broke, don't fix it. YMMV
Ron Price

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:58:45 am »
the ice bath might be a good idea, but I'm too lazy for that.

If you keep the door to the fridge shut I can't imagine that it swings all that much either.

I, like many of the guys here, just keep my slurry in mason jars in the back of the fridge and have never had a problem. 

Don't sweat it too much.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:49:12 am »
Don't sweat it too much.

Brewing is a ROBUST process and yeast are resistant bugs (Fungi).
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline hankus

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 12:39:21 pm »
I'm not sure that freezing yeast even in glycerin solutuion has any advantages over refrigerating them whis is much easier