Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: From cold to warm?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
From cold to warm?
« on: March 12, 2010, 07:05:18 am »
I was thinking I would make a brew and lager it outside this month but the weather went straight from cold to warm.   :(    I helped a friend put in new taps and lines for collecting maple sap but with the weather here he may not make much unless we get some cold nights and according to the news it doesn't look like it.  Yesterday we had 60 degrees here and it hasn't dropped below the mid 30's for a few nights now.  Looks like I'm going to have to pick up a used fridge again or get working on my brewshed including a small walkin cooler.  I'm not ready for it yet.   :(

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
Re: From cold to warm?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:19:23 am »
Ugg.. experiencing same issue.   My unfinished basement is pretty good for initial fermentation with spots between 45 and 50F.  I've been using the stairs under the outside bilko doors for the lower temps. Now that we are seeing temps in the mid 50's outside, I've lost low temp lagering as I too do not have a spare frig/freezer either.  I'm considering using the "low tech" lager James Spencer talks of on BBR.  Pretty much 2 coolers, copper tubing, a temp control,pond pump, and ice jugs/water.  Not sure I want to do this for the 15 gallons I have lagering now.  This is giving me more incentive to remodel the basement with brewing/fermenting/lagering features. Trying to do all that in limited space and budget - maybe I'll post over to equipment section to solicit ideas.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:26:12 am »
I do have another option, thinking about it after reading your post.  I have a small creek that flows through my property... its probably too cold right now, I'll have to check the temperature and see.  This summer it should work perfectly!   ;D

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 11:48:37 pm »
Could you rig up a pump to circulate water from the creek to a "cool shed" ? Like some homes
are now using as air conditioning, or heating. Make it a open loop that pulls the water into a
vessel where the fermenters are stored and back out to the creek. No cross contamination
of water same water in same water out...Run with the idea... Instead of a glycol jacket it's
a creek-water jacket.
Ruben * Colorado :)