Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Over did it with coriander  (Read 5268 times)

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Over did it with coriander
« on: July 22, 2013, 07:36:30 pm »
I used a bit too much coriander with my Belgian Wit, and I'm looking to add something to tone it down.  My wife suggested pear, I was thinking about adding kiwi.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Over did it with coriander
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 08:21:58 pm »
brew a second batch and blend it. At this point, adding more of anything is just going to intensify the cacophony. Also, sometimes the best way to rescue a batch is dump it and start over.

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 08:27:45 pm »
I was thinking of blending with a batch made without coriander.  It's not that bad that one cannot drink it, so I don't think that I will have to dump it.  I was just figured that I could experiment with it since it didn't turn out exactly the way that I wanted it.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 09:03:44 pm »
Is distilling legal yet?  Oh wait, never mind.  I like majorvices idea of blending.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 09:58:16 pm »
Blending is the most effective option but if the decision is between experimenting and dumping then definitely experiment.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:06:59 pm »
Blending is the most effective option but if the decision is between experimenting and dumping then definitely experiment.

Dumping is not a sin. No need forcing yourself to drink something you are not entirely happy with. Especially if you have something else waiting in the wings. I've had plenty of 5 gallon beer rivers flowing down my driveway before. While I hated to waste the brewday I was never sorry to see the beer go.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 10:26:38 pm »
It's not a waste if you learn something.

The one I dumped, the lesson was don't confuse the priming sugar water with water used to cook hotdogs

Guess I could have blended the Belgian triple wiener with a sauerkraut stout
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:30:45 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 10:55:17 pm »
Brewing a whole new batch to try to save a bad (or even mediocre) batch is not worth it IMO. But experimenting with a batch that is destined for the drain anyways - if it's not going to tie up a fermenter for too long. or involve enough $$$ or effort that it would be just as easy to rebrew, then by all means go for it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 11:22:37 pm »
Brewing a whole new batch to try to save a bad (or even mediocre) batch is not worth it IMO. But experimenting with a batch that is destined for the drain anyways - if it's not going to tie up a fermenter for too long. or involve enough $$$ or effort that it would be just as easy to rebrew, then by all means go for it.

I agree, but if the batch is still in the fermentor or in a keg, rebrewing  the exact same batch (minus the coriander) then blending it in the bottling bucket or keg would seem reasonable assuming the thing wrong with the original brew is the coriander.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 11:23:32 pm »
How much Coriander did you use? How do you know you over did it?
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 03:23:45 am »
How much Coriander did you use? How do you know you over did it?

First batch I brewed, I used .5 oz for 5 gal. Coriander was not even detectable, so for the second batch I doubled it to 1 oz for 5 gal.  My wife can't taste or smell it but I think it's a forreground flavor, not a background note like it should be.  So next time, I'll use .75 oz and see how that goes.

I was also considering a lactic acid addition instead of fruit to sour it up a bit instead and see if it balances out.  I think I'll just experiment with both things individually on a small scale.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at the dumping stage, the beer is drinkable and I'm sure that my neighbors will help me along to free up the keg for another batch of their "lawnmower beer".

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 08:32:30 am »
send it to me.  ;)  my wit recipe (which I will brew again this week) uses 2 oz for 10 gal and I find it perfect.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 11:12:01 am »
Blend or dump.  I aged a couple of bottles of my coriander wit for a year and it didn't mellow or change appreciably with time.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 01:19:02 pm »
If the part of the coriander that is too much is the citrus-lemon flavor that will age out.  If it is the spicy notes, it will probably not age out.  The flavor of spices can vary signficantly from batch to batch so I like to add a little and then taste the result and possibly add more.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 05:48:37 pm »
Also, sometimes the best way to rescue a batch is dump it and start over.

I've only had to dump two batches in 7 yrs. Last one was a lager. I pulled it out of the fridge for a diacetyl  rest. Let it sit on the counter for a week while I forgot about it and then we had a 3 day heat wave at the end of may. By the time I got to it, it tasted pretty bad.