Other than Brewing > All Things Food

Pickles and other fermented foods

(1/20) > >>

gmac:
I'm making a batch of kosher dills today and I thought maybe we should have a pickle thread.  Since we moved, this is the first time we've been able to have a big garden and although the weeds have been a problem, i'm looking forward to pickling cucumbers, hot peppers and green beans.  Plus I over planted my tomatoes big time so I'm going to be needing some good salsa recipes and I may even try tomato juice but we shall see.
Anyone else have anything going into brine or vinegar these days?

kylekohlmorgen:
The next frontier for me is vinegar. Does malt vinegar make good pickles?

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: kylekohlmorgen on July 23, 2013, 07:16:54 AM ---The next frontier for me is vinegar. Does malt vinegar make good pickles?

--- End quote ---

you can add some for taste or use it for quick pickles but without knowing the actual analysis of the vinegar it's not really safe to use it for the primary acid source in canning.

although I suppose you could use a pH meter on the final product before sealing and be pretty safe. But Don't quote me on that.

rainmaker:
Tomolives. Pure money.

bluesman:
I prepared some of my IPA Hop pickles a couple of weeks ago. I added a pint of my IPA to the brine to make this half-gallon recipe. Delicious!

[/URL]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version