I've got a easy go-to recipe for hot and sweet dills:
- 1 gallon jar of sliced dills, any brand works fine
- 4 pounds sugar
- Peppers, chopped garlic etc based on your preferences.
1) Drain all the liquid from the pickles.
2) Remove all but an inch of pickles from jar.
3) Put drained pickles back into the jar in 1 inch layers, interspersed with sugar and the hot/garlicky stuff.
4) Tighten lid securely, place jar in refrigerator.
5) Turn jar upside down after 12 hours. Place jar in large bowl in case of lid leaks.
6) Turn jar rightside up after another 12 hours.
7) Repeat 4 & 5 for a week or so, allowing all the sugar and goodies to go into solution and become liquid.
Open jar and enjoy.
I also keep the liquid drained off from step 1 to use in cold pickling other things like beans/garlic/carrots/onions, why waste?