Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegged Beer Tastes Boozy  (Read 1779 times)

Offline son_of_buncrana

• Cellarman
Kegged Beer Tastes Boozy
« on: July 23, 2013, 07:15:09 pm »
I brewed a Smithwick's clone a few weeks ago. Second carboyed, cold crashed, kegged and carbonated for 7 days. Served it up last weekend and it was great. Tonight I poured a glass and it had an alcohol taste. Wondering if anyone knows what might be going on.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Kegged Beer Tastes Boozy
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 07:57:28 pm »
Any chance the keg froze? you might be getting a concentrated brew. Or you could have a wild yeast infection (tee hee) that is causing fusel alcohols to form.

or the carbonation could be dropping, has it been attached to co2 the whole time?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline son_of_buncrana

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 08:35:00 pm »
Leg was at 38 degrees during carbonation.was attached to co2 the whole time and don't think there was any infection. I'm very carful with sanitation and my keg was washed and had sanitizer in it and pressurized and the sanitizer was expelled and was kept under pressure until I filled it with my brew.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:05:10 pm »
Hard to pin point an alcohol taste, judging from individual pallets perception. But I will shoot in the dark here: did you purge the keg with co2 before racking? Is there any chance the beer picked up o2 during racking? Sometimes I pick up early signs of o2 problems as an alcohol-like character.