Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keggle not kegel  (Read 6983 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Keggle not kegel
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 01:46:21 pm »
Yes. But many people still don't realize that acquiring a keg through a deposit is not legit. We need a PSA on NBC about it. The more you know....
Seems like with ubiquitous credit cards, the industry could switch to a $0 deposit, but we charge your card full price if not returned within 6 months. I guess market forces might prevent that though.

I was out of sequence in having enough homebrew on hand last weekend for a Navy reunion at my house, so I went to Bale Breaker Brewing Co., here in Yakima to pick up a 1/6th bbl. of a Rye IPA.  I was shocked when they told me the deposit was $100!  You better believe that's not going to sit in my garage when its empty!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 01:50:16 pm »
Dogfish started charging a $100 dollar deposit several years ago.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 02:08:49 pm »

Is the $100 deposit not normal in those parts of the country??

Ever since college, I've been paying $100 deposits on everything from Natty Light to Schlafly 1/2 barrels to Boulevard 1/6 barrels.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 02:15:04 pm »

Ever since college, I've been paying $100 deposits on everything from Natty Light to Schlafly 1/2 barrels to Boulevard 1/6 barrels.

The last time I bought a keg, the deposit was $50.  That was 25 years ago so $100 now would not surprise me too much.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 02:17:27 pm »

Not in liquor stores around here at least, but then they don't care as much if they get it back.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 03:59:36 pm »

The going rate everywhere I've checked or purchased from around here has been $30.  That is why kegs sell on craigslist for $30-40.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 04:15:37 pm »
$90 minimum around here
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 04:42:38 pm »
If I charged my distributor $100 per keg deposit they would laugh at me. I charge them 30.

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 12:21:28 pm »
I've used both keggle and 14 gallon flat bottom kettle and they both work the same on my burner. My 14 gallon kettle came with ball valve, sight glass and diverter plate and (importantly) tight fitting lid. much prefer brewing on the latter. Maybe a little more  expensive but has lasted 10 years thus far.

Agree keggle route is cheaper, just be sure you find a decommissioned one.

I think you have a great point here for anyone looking at getting a new or upgraded BK. The flat bottom with a thicker sandwiched base type kettle is probably a better piece. You can more easily utilize a hops dam or a device like a hop blocker with it and kettle losses might tend to be less. That bowl shaped bottom on my 15 gal  Keggle holds a lot of wort ( and trub ) and you have to tilt it to get the last of the wort. I have adjusted many of my recipes about 1 gallon larger in volume to compensate.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 01:47:59 pm »
I've used both keggle and 14 gallon flat bottom kettle and they both work the same on my burner. My 14 gallon kettle came with ball valve, sight glass and diverter plate and (importantly) tight fitting lid. much prefer brewing on the latter. Maybe a little more  expensive but has lasted 10 years thus far.

I think you have a great point here for anyone looking at getting a new or upgraded BK. The flat bottom with a thicker sandwiched base type kettle is probably a better piece. You can more easily utilize a hops dam or a device like a hop blocker with it and kettle losses might tend to be less. That bowl shaped bottom on my 15 gal  Keggle holds a lot of wort ( and trub ) and you have to tilt it to get the last of the wort. I have adjusted many of my recipes about 1 gallon larger in volume to compensate.

Or you can install a dip tube.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline Stevie

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 02:02:21 pm »

+1 to dip tubes. I set mine to leave 1/2 gallon in the kettle. No more worries of losing suction and having to lift my kettle. Also minimizes trub. It's nice.

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 02:20:48 pm »

Mine plugged frequently so I quit using it. It also hits my IC and combined with my thermometer probe ti won't allow the IC to sit all the way down in the wort.

Occasionally I'll screw in a 1/2 copper elbow with male pipe adapter and that helps somewhat but it's still not ideal. The other dip tube I have is 1/2 inch stainless and runs out into the center of the keggle. Pellets plug it up the times I've used it.