Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tennessee Home Brew Club Meeting at Restaurant with Liquor License  (Read 1883 times)

Offline jdvisger123

• 1st Kit
Our home brew club continues to grow and up till now we have been meeting in club members homes. We have located a restaurant that is willing to section off an area for us to have our (private) meetings but the concern is that we will be bringing locally purchased as well as home brew to his business to be consumed by club members and their guests. Are we about to break any laws?
Enjoy it, you made it!!!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Tennessee Home Brew Club Meeting at Restaurant with Liquor License
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 06:55:43 am »
If the restaurant knows it, and is ok with it, probably it's fine. I doubt that the gubment will swoop in unless you talk politics

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 08:37:27 am »
I would be surprised whether that is permitted under the mixed beverage license there. You better make sure the restaurant owner(s) are aware you all are going to bring both homebrew and commercial beer since it is their license to lose.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:05:33 pm »
You really need to talk to your local liquor control people.  You don't want the restaurant to get busted and lose their liquor license.  Sure, you might be able to keep it quiet and get away with it, but it's not fair to your potential hosts.  Here in OR, we got the law changed to allow what you want to do.  If you find it isn't legal, maybe you could start working toward getting it changed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 01:32:29 pm »
I would recommend taking a look at the removal restrictions under Tennessee state law.  They may define what are permitted "removals" of homebrew from your personal residence.  That said, I worked at Boscos Brew Pub in Nashville for several years, and one of the homebrew clubs used to meet there regularly.  They almost always brought in homebrew and there was never an issue.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 02:07:23 pm »
Yeah, talk to the authorities in your locale.

My club meets at a brewery/restaurant and it is not a problem. but this is california and yo ucan bring your own booze into restaurants whenever you want here so long as you are willing to pay the corkage fee. so who knows.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce