Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 461867 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1200 on: May 18, 2011, 11:51:30 pm »
This may sound like the obvious but it's the key to smoke flavor intensity...time and temperature.
Thanks Ron.  I really don't have problems with temp, I can get it rock solid around 215, usually no adjustments necessary.

I'd just try to lower your temps to 200-225 and keep it there. Don't think smoke escaping is your culprit. Though that would lead to a draughty smoker which would cause temp fluctuations.
It's not that it's drafty, it's just lets the smoke escape easily.  Since it can get out so easily it never really concentrates, so the meat is just in a light haze of smoke instead of a dense cloud.  The thermometers are very steady though.

I've noticed the same thing when I smoke cheese - the larger the crack letting smoke escape, the less smokey the cheese winds up.  It doesn't take that large of a crack to really reduce the smoke a lot.  There is a bit of balance involved in getting enough smoke without trapping too much heat and having really oozy cheese.

Anyway, I'm going to try it with a little cold pre-smoke, then stick it on the grill and see what happens.  Now I just have to pick the wood to smoke it with . . . probably madrona, maybe some apple and something else.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1201 on: May 19, 2011, 12:11:40 am »
Tom I think it's time to purchase an Egg. ;)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1202 on: May 19, 2011, 12:27:48 am »
Can you give me a 0% interest loan? :)

I need to graduate and get a real job. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1203 on: May 19, 2011, 12:40:36 am »
LOL I was thinking of hitting you up!

Working's overrated.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #1204 on: May 19, 2011, 08:17:54 am »
In the Weber 22.5 I'd recommend just sticking to the stock stuff, except for the Smokenator which is a nifty accessory:
http://www.smokenator.com/

That smokenator is a nifty looking tool. I'll definitely be looking into that. I was thinking for Thanksgiving I would smoke a nice turkey and that would give me a great option to do so.

I think I will do some baby backs and set the grill up for indirect.

I also bought some chunks of apple wood, first time I've seen chunks in the store instead of chips. Do you recommend soaking the chunks in water for half an hour before using them for smoking?
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #1205 on: May 19, 2011, 12:55:10 pm »
Cool!  I was just offered 2 free tickets to a BBQ event during seattle beer week (This Sunday).  It's an all you can eat Kansas City BBQ paired with Boulevard Brewing Beers.  :) 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1206 on: May 19, 2011, 07:05:56 pm »
Cool!  I was just offered 2 free tickets to a BBQ event during seattle beer week (This Sunday).  It's an all you can eat Kansas City BBQ paired with Boulevard Brewing Beers.  :) 

mmm...BBQ an beer.  8)

A match made in heaven. Sounds like alot of fun.
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1207 on: May 22, 2011, 04:08:39 pm »
Ill tell ya, anybody thinking of setting up a new smoker shouldconsider the UDS. They work great. I have been making them and just used one for the first time.

I made a pork butthat came out unbeliveably perfect.

Made and donated two of the UDS and a UDG for a guy over at The BBQ Brethren that does charity BBQ's out in Johnstown PA.

UDS is the way to go!

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1208 on: May 22, 2011, 06:22:13 pm »
Wow!

Very nice work Cap...I'm sure you made that guy very happy. You should add UDS's to your portfolio.

Long time ...no post. Check in more often.  8)
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1209 on: May 22, 2011, 07:06:58 pm »
I also bought some chunks of apple wood, first time I've seen chunks in the store instead of chips. Do you recommend soaking the chunks in water for half an hour before using them for smoking?

For chunks, skip the soaking.  Most tests show it makes little difference.  For chips, maybe.  I never soak chunks, though.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1210 on: May 22, 2011, 07:11:28 pm »

For chunks, skip the soaking.  Most tests show it makes little difference.  For chips, maybe.  I never soak chunks, though.

I'm going with dry chunks these days as the soaked chunks take too long to burn. They seem to put along and often times they're not even half burned after a three hour smoke.

But...Try it both ways and decide for yourself.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1211 on: May 22, 2011, 08:20:38 pm »
I have chunks but don't use them that much. I didn't like the flavor when they were soaked. They burn dirty and I could taste the creosote. From now on I'll eschew the soaking of any wood is used.

I prefer straight lump oak charcoal. Mesquite lump isn't too bad either. But for wood the pecan branches that fall off my tree helps produce some mighty fine Q.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1212 on: May 22, 2011, 09:42:55 pm »
I have chunks but don't use them that much. I didn't like the flavor when they were soaked. They burn dirty and I could taste the creosote. From now on I'll eschew the soaking of any wood is used.

I prefer straight lump oak charcoal. Mesquite lump isn't too bad either. But for wood the pecan branches that fall off my tree helps produce some mighty fine Q.
Same here.  I keep a bag of mesquite lump beside my grill when I want a little mesquite favor, or I have some mesquite I pick up at drilling sites.  I also use my tree trimmings-apple, peach and apricot and of course pecan..
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1213 on: May 22, 2011, 11:37:23 pm »
Ill tell ya, anybody thinking of setting up a new smoker shouldconsider the UDS. They work great. I have been making them and just used one for the first time.
Looks awesome cap!  If you'd like to donate a UDS to me, that would be great. :)

Here's the pork shoulder I did this weekend, it's tasty.  It went for about 10 hours at ~225F. 

Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1214 on: May 22, 2011, 11:41:34 pm »
Damn that all looks just great!. Should have taken some pics of the lamb's breast I did Friday.