Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462431 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1215 on: May 23, 2011, 07:41:04 am »
Nice looking bark Tom!

Dry rub? or?
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1216 on: May 23, 2011, 10:25:02 am »
It's mostly just s&p, but I sprinkled a little bit of rub on it.  I'm not sure what's in it or what brand it is but we picked it up in Hawaii and it's pretty good.  I made a bbq sauce to go with it, ketchup, soy, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and five spice.  The sauce is a bit too salty (I used low sodium soy sauce too!) but it matches well with the pork.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1217 on: May 26, 2011, 08:07:48 am »
It's mostly just s&p, but I sprinkled a little bit of rub on it.  I'm not sure what's in it or what brand it is but we picked it up in Hawaii and it's pretty good.  I made a bbq sauce to go with it, ketchup, soy, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and five spice.  The sauce is a bit too salty (I used low sodium soy sauce too!) but it matches well with the pork.

I love the plethora of options in making BBQ...just like brewing.  :)
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1218 on: May 26, 2011, 08:12:20 am »
Anybody know a good place to get food grade 55 gallon drums. I am planning to make a UDS.
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1219 on: May 26, 2011, 10:15:40 am »
Our local Scrap Metal / Junk Yard has a pretty good selection, including "food grade". They get $7.00 for them. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1220 on: May 26, 2011, 10:20:55 am »
Our local Scrap Metal / Junk Yard has a pretty good selection, including "food grade". They get $7.00 for them. Cheers!!!

Wow...nice price.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1221 on: May 26, 2011, 10:44:08 am »
I'm looking for one too, I'm not having luck.  Well, I found one company that will sell me one for $65, but that seems like a lot.  And a guy on craigslist who seems weird, so I'm not going to do that.  Googling junk/scrap yards is just turning up recycling places and car junk yards.  I might try one of the food manufacturers around here.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1222 on: May 26, 2011, 10:53:08 am »
I'm looking for one too, I'm not having luck.  Well, I found one company that will sell me one for $65, but that seems like a lot.  And a guy on craigslist who seems weird, so I'm not going to do that.  Googling junk/scrap yards is just turning up recycling places and car junk yards.  I might try one of the food manufacturers around here.

This might work. We have quite a few here. I'll also give that a try.

Ron Price

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #1223 on: May 26, 2011, 11:29:51 am »
Just wondering if your starting a fire in the barrel your going to melt the food grade liner out of it. Use a regular barrel strip paint off and paint with high temp stove paint. Or is a food grade thicker material?
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1224 on: May 26, 2011, 12:43:59 pm »
Just wondering if your starting a fire in the barrel your going to melt the food grade liner out of it. Use a regular barrel strip paint off and paint with high temp stove paint. Or is a food grade thicker material?

All of the BBQ brothers and sisters over on the "bbq brethren" site recommend food grade drums as preferred over other designs. I am planning to burn it out and paint it with high temp paint.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1225 on: May 26, 2011, 01:29:30 pm »
I found a barrel company that has them for $45.  Reconditioned, sandblasted in and out, unpainted.  I think I'm going to go that route since it saves me from having to burn it out.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1226 on: May 26, 2011, 01:54:07 pm »
I found a barrel company that has them for $45.  Reconditioned, sandblasted in and out, unpainted.  I think I'm going to go that route since it saves me from having to burn it out.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea. Might save having the neighbor call the Fire Dept. too.....  If you haven't already, do take a look at the BBQ Brethren Forum.   http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/  When it comes to BBQ I put it right up there, just like our AHA forum is with beer.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1227 on: May 26, 2011, 01:57:43 pm »
That doesn't sound like a bad idea. Might save having the neighbor call the Fire Dept. too.....  If you haven't already, do take a look at the BBQ Brethren Forum.   http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/  When it comes to BBQ I put it right up there, just like our AHA forum is with beer.  Cheers!!!
That's where I'm getting most of my info. :)

Although the UDS thread is more than 500 pages long, so its going to take me a while to get through that.  I'm going to go ahead and build one before I'm done I'm sure.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1228 on: May 26, 2011, 02:00:25 pm »
That's where I'm getting most of my info. :)

Although the UDS thread is more than 500 pages long, so its going to take me a while to get through that.  I'm going to go ahead and build one before I'm done I'm sure.

That's an awesome thread. I've been trying to keep up with it.

Buying a drum ready to go is starting to sound like a better idea. What's the shipping?
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1229 on: May 26, 2011, 02:57:22 pm »
That's an awesome thread. I've been trying to keep up with it.

Buying a drum ready to go is starting to sound like a better idea. What's the shipping?
It should cost me about $8 in gas to go pick it up. ;)

And I've found a local guy to weld me a fire basket, and he told me where to get the right paint for the drum.  Great forum over there, this guy is super helpful just from a pm I sent him.
Tom Schmidlin