Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 461823 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1245 on: May 27, 2011, 07:37:14 am »
They take alooonnnnggg time to smoke but they are worth every minute. I have one in my freezer that's calling me.  8)

Maybe I'll do the shoulder this weekend... :-\

Let us know how it turned out flavor and texturewise. Pics.  ;)

Ron Price

Offline idris_arslanian

• 1st Kit
« Reply #1246 on: May 27, 2011, 12:07:55 pm »
Got a Brinkman Gourmet a couple of months ago off of my company's classifieds.  Modded it up as per the following link:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27234&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

If you're looking for a way to control the smoke escaping, you really can't go wrong w/ the fireplace cord suggested here.  I'd suggest using temp resistant silicone as opposed to the fireplace cement though.  The fireplace stuff gets pretty brittle with all the moving around.  Have done 4 pork butts and a chicken thusfar.  Plan on doing ribs and another chicken this weekend.

Pic of my first butt:
http://lockerz.com/s/105260001
The DTs Brewhouse - Northeast Minneapolis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1247 on: May 27, 2011, 12:30:59 pm »
Got a Brinkman Gourmet a couple of months ago off of my company's classifieds.  Modded it up as per the following link:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27234&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

If you're looking for a way to control the smoke escaping, you really can't go wrong w/ the fireplace cord suggested here.  I'd suggest using temp resistant silicone as opposed to the fireplace cement though.  The fireplace stuff gets pretty brittle with all the moving around.  Have done 4 pork butts and a chicken thusfar.  Plan on doing ribs and another chicken this weekend.

Pic of my first butt:
http://lockerz.com/s/105260001

Looks delicious idris...thanks for posting.  8)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1248 on: May 27, 2011, 12:36:40 pm »
Good job Phil! Nice Q idris.

IIRC it took me at least 16 hours to do a butt. I tie them so that they don't fall apart in the smoker and are easier to move.

I looked at the Brinkman and the Weber Smoky Mountain. Both didn't look very substantial and or very smoke-tight. Took one serious look at the BGE and was in love...

Anyway, the Brinkman would have been a better buy. It was only $39 at Lowes. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #1249 on: May 27, 2011, 12:52:09 pm »

If you're looking for a way to control the smoke escaping, you really can't go wrong w/ the fireplace cord suggested here.  I'd suggest using temp resistant silicone as opposed to the fireplace cement though.  The fireplace stuff gets pretty brittle with all the moving around. 

Good idea. I used the fireplace cement to try and shore up my side box smoker and within two smokes, it had fallen off. Still have plenty of rope so may hit up the hardware store for some high-temp silicone.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1250 on: May 27, 2011, 01:48:41 pm »

If you're looking for a way to control the smoke escaping, you really can't go wrong w/ the fireplace cord suggested here.  I'd suggest using temp resistant silicone as opposed to the fireplace cement though.  The fireplace stuff gets pretty brittle with all the moving around. 

Good idea. I used the fireplace cement to try and shore up my side box smoker and within two smokes, it had fallen off. Still have plenty of rope so may hit up the hardware store for some high-temp silicone.
I used the rope & cement on my ECB too. It fell off.  It was so brittle I just used my hands to get the old stuff off (use gloves!) and used High Temp RTV to re-apply the rope. That stuff sticks!  Here's a link to the mods I made to the ECB to get it to work better. It works great for a couple small turkeys or butts or fatties, or .... Cheers!!!  http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93517
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1251 on: May 27, 2011, 04:59:55 pm »
So finally, here are some pics.

DARK BARK! Finally! I dunno how it happened but it tastes awesome.

BEHOLD THE SHREDDEDNESS (blurrycam)

And here's the setup at the party (Fete des Voisins = Block Party, it's a nationwide thing apparently, I had no idea).

Initial reaction from guy on the left of frame who had never had pulled pork before: "Hey this is pretty good"

If you look closely, you'll see that most people have beer in their glasses. That beer came from me. Even my "lager" (fermented at 65 deg F and tastes like grapefruit for reals) was a huge hit. I don't know how to say how happy I am. I don't have any pics from later in the night but I'd say there were about 15-20 people total, and I brought 18 L, and now I think I have about 2 L left. Freakin' awesome.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1252 on: May 27, 2011, 08:02:03 pm »
Wow Phil...looks like all was a great success. BTW, the pork looks fabulous. Congrats!  8)

...and glad your beer was a success as well.

Pork Butts are one of my favorite smokes. Low and slow is the key.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #1253 on: May 27, 2011, 08:36:19 pm »
Nice pics Phil.  I just got done shredding up some pork butts for a party tomorrow.

All rubbed up and ready for the grill:

On the grill.  I forgot to poke holes in my meat shield so I just used the drippings as an additional mop.

All done and ready for shredding:

In the crockpot and ready to go for tomorrow:

7.5 hours on the grill with some nice hickory chips in the smokebox.  It tastes great but I'm exhausted and my fingers hurt from shredding all of that. 

The good news though is that the beer is brewed, the food is made, and tomorrow is party day!
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1254 on: May 27, 2011, 11:22:05 pm »
Great looking pork guys!  Phil, glad to hear the beer was a hit too, congratulations. :)

I picked up my barrel today and got started on my UDS.  I drilled three 1" holes in the bottom part and called it a night  It was getting dark and buggy, and I have other things to do tonight anyway.

The biggest problem is going to be the fire basket.  I had a guy offer to weld it for me, but he can't for a couple of months.  Another guy I know will probably make me one, but still not soon enough.  So I got parts to put one together with nuts and bolts and washers and stuff.  The problem is the depot had no expanded steel I could use for the walls, so I'm going to try another (better but far away) store tomorrow.  With that and something to hold it all together (the hog rings at the depot were galvanized) I'll be set.  I should be able to fire it up tomorrow evening.  I'm debating whether to throw some meat on Saturday night just to see how it goes.

I'll post pics when I'm done, as well as a price list.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1255 on: May 27, 2011, 11:35:45 pm »
Phil that must've been a hell of a party. I imagine the locals are looking at the American with new eyes. :D BBQ and beer!

Tygo that looks great. If your fingers hurt it wasn't quite ready. It should almost fall apart in your fingers with very little effort. I like to wear rubber gloves and get after it with my fingers. A 7.5 hour smoke seems kinda short for that cut. Let us know how everyone loves it!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1256 on: May 28, 2011, 11:50:46 am »

The biggest problem is going to be the fire basket.  I had a guy offer to weld it for me, but he can't for a couple of months.  Another guy I know will probably make me one, but still not soon enough.  So I got parts to put one together with nuts and bolts and washers and stuff.  The problem is the depot had no expanded steel I could use for the walls, so I'm going to try another (better but far away) store tomorrow.  With that and something to hold it all together (the hog rings at the depot were galvanized) I'll be set.  I should be able to fire it up tomorrow evening.  I'm debating whether to throw some meat on Saturday night just to see how it goes.

This looks pretty easy to construct without any welding.

Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1257 on: May 28, 2011, 11:53:35 am »
Nice looking Q tygo.  :)

I finally decided on a Boston Butt. I'll post pics.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1258 on: May 28, 2011, 01:25:52 pm »

The biggest problem is going to be the fire basket.  I had a guy offer to weld it for me, but he can't for a couple of months.  Another guy I know will probably make me one, but still not soon enough.  So I got parts to put one together with nuts and bolts and washers and stuff.  The problem is the depot had no expanded steel I could use for the walls, so I'm going to try another (better but far away) store tomorrow.  With that and something to hold it all together (the hog rings at the depot were galvanized) I'll be set.  I should be able to fire it up tomorrow evening.  I'm debating whether to throw some meat on Saturday night just to see how it goes.

This looks pretty easy to construct without any welding.

That's pretty much what I'm doing Ron.  I went to the other hardware store today and got expanded steel and non-galvanized hog rings.  I'm about to put it together, just having some lunch and checking the board.

I still think it's going to be the hardest thing to do, but that just speaks to how easy the rest of it is. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1259 on: May 28, 2011, 02:09:14 pm »
That's pretty much what I'm doing Ron.  I went to the other hardware store today and got expanded steel and non-galvanized hog rings.  I'm about to put it together, just having some lunch and checking the board.

I still think it's going to be the hardest thing to do, but that just speaks to how easy the rest of it is. :)
Done building the fire basket.  Pics later :)
Tom Schmidlin