Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462575 times)

ccarlson

Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1260 on: May 28, 2011, 02:46:01 pm »
IMO you'd be better off to use stove pipe instead expanded metal. This would draw in more air from the bottom and would increase the velocity.

Edit: Forget my post. I thought you were building a charcoal starter. That's what I get for not starting at the bottom.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:05:53 pm by ccarlson »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1261 on: May 29, 2011, 01:38:10 am »
So, here's the build.  This UDS design is entirely ripped off from here and the fire basket from here.  I took a torch to it tonight after these pics were taken to burn off any random last bits left from the reconditioning, and burn off the remains of the lid gasket I couldn't scrape out.

I'm going to smoke a chicken in it tomorrow as a test, and if all goes well I'll do some turkey legs.  There will be sausages and hotdogs too.  I also picked up some jalapenos to do a variation on turds - I'm going to stuff the peppers with some hotdog and some smoked cheddar, wrap them in bacon and smoke them.  I might smoke some sweet onions too.  We'll see how hungry everyone is and if they bring anything smoke worthy.  Oh yeah, we're having company. :)

Inside view - at the top you can see a couple of the bolts that will hold the grate, the shorter ones are for the handle on the outside.  At the bottom you can see the three pipes for airflow.  (One of the grate bolts overlaps a pipe at the bottom).

Fire basket - very similar to the one that Ron linked to.  Pizza pan at the bottom, grill grate, two sheets of expanded steel held together with hog rings.  Three 3" bolts hold it together, the ash (pizza) pan rests on some nuts to leave space underneath, more nuts and washers to leave space between the pan and the grate. 

Air flow damper at the top with a spring to hold it down over an existing hole in the lid.  I can slide it to the side to open the hole.

Inside view with grate and fire basket in the bottom.

Outside view - ball valve to control airflow, the other two pipes are just covered with pipe caps.  I figure if the ball valve is all of the way open and I need more airflow, I can close the ball valve and take off a cap, and go from there.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:45:20 pm by tschmidlin »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1262 on: May 29, 2011, 01:45:45 am »
So, here's the build.  This UDS design is entirely ripped off inspired from here

Kick it up a notch!  Nice build Tom.  Can I buy one?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1263 on: May 29, 2011, 03:24:01 am »
Pretty cheap to DIY, but even if I sold you one the shipping would kill you. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #1264 on: May 29, 2011, 07:18:28 am »
Nice build! I feel a project comin' on...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1265 on: May 29, 2011, 07:53:41 am »
Very impressive Tom!  8) Nice fire basket design.

Whatcha gonna BBQ first?
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1266 on: May 29, 2011, 08:22:24 am »
Nice work tom. Looks great. You gonna paint it? I say just season it with oil.

Now, do me a favor, lets test the strength of that grate. Climb up on a chair and then onto the grate.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #1267 on: May 29, 2011, 08:34:28 am »
Only a concern if you're smoking 200 lb. humans...  ;)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1268 on: May 29, 2011, 08:41:24 am »
Now you have to hook in a Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator.

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/smokers.htm#magnum

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1269 on: May 29, 2011, 10:41:07 am »
Nice build! I feel a project comin' on...
Be sure to document it, I might want to build another one of these soon and maybe make some modifications. :)

Whatcha gonna BBQ first?
Right now there is nothing in it, I'm just smoking air to stabilize the temps.  Then I'm going to spatchcock a chicken and throw it on there and see what happens.  On the edge it is holding at 192F, center of the grate reads 228F.

Nice work tom. Looks great. You gonna paint it? I say just season it with oil.

Now, do me a favor, lets test the strength of that grate. Climb up on a chair and then onto the grate.
I'm not climbing on the grate. :)  So far I plan to just let the oil season it, we'll see how it holds up.  With our humidity I'll have to seriously consider painting it.

I have a ProQ cold smoke generator, which is probably not enough to fill that chamber.  But it lets me cold smoke some cheese (that's what I'm putting in the turds) and it's good enough for me.  For now. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1270 on: May 29, 2011, 10:49:39 am »
My next pet project is a giant tow behind trailer BBQ. Tail lights and all. Its for another charity.

One of these days Im gonna start building some bbq's  that I can actually get paid for.  ::)

Waiting for that Karma to kick in.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:51:17 am by capozzoli »

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1271 on: May 29, 2011, 04:30:25 pm »
It's good to see you back in the mix Cap!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #1272 on: May 29, 2011, 05:42:00 pm »
It's good to see you back in the mix Cap!

Yeh, really.

Where has it been?
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1273 on: May 29, 2011, 06:37:34 pm »
Thanks guys, I miss all of you. To tell the truth I have been on the wagon for a while. Let me tell you, it is truly awful, just horrible. Dont even consider it.

Ive had a few swigs now and agin but havent been brewing. I will make some more beers when the cold weather sets in. Plus I have been kinda busy.

I have been hanging out a lot over at the BBQ brethren, great site for those of you into outdoor cooking. They have a brewing section too.

The construction biz has been real tough lately, very difficult to get jobs, and even more difficult to get paid once you get them.
I have been taking a long hard look at getting into the manufacture and sales of BBQ's and other outdoor cooking gear. My idea is to write an illustrated cookbook on outdoor cooking around the world and letting it serve as a catalog for products. Argentinian grills, goulash tripods, smokers etc. Then having a corresponding website. I have investors interested but Im thinking I may be able to do it on my own. My biggest financial hurdle would be the website SEO and its something I still dont entirely understand. 

I figure if I combine my two strongest skills, metal work and cooking how can I go wrong?

Culinary metalwork.

Ill keep you guys posted.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #1274 on: May 29, 2011, 06:47:11 pm »
Rehab is for quitters.  ;) *takes big slug of a Stone AB clone* Will definitely stay tuned for the possible new venture. Good luck!

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member