Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 461819 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1275 on: May 29, 2011, 08:09:50 pm »

I have been taking a long hard look at getting into the manufacture and sales of BBQ's and other outdoor cooking gear. My idea is to write an illustrated cookbook on outdoor cooking around the world and letting it serve as a catalog for products. Argentinian grills, goulash tripods, smokers etc. Then having a corresponding website. I have investors interested but Im thinking I may be able to do it on my own. My biggest financial hurdle would be the website SEO and its something I still dont entirely understand. 

I figure if I combine my two strongest skills, metal work and cooking how can I go wrong?

Culinary metalwork.

Ill keep you guys posted.

Do it Cap.  It sounds like a great idea!  The hurdles don't sound insurmountable by any means. 
I'll help you figure out how to make a metal imu.   ;)

I for one really miss your culinary input to these pages (and your N.E. sense of humor)!   :D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1276 on: May 29, 2011, 08:41:10 pm »
I figure if I combine my two strongest skills, metal work and cooking how can I go wrong?

Culinary metalwork.

You go boy!  8)
Ron Price

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #1277 on: May 29, 2011, 10:17:03 pm »
I'm going to smoke a chicken in it tomorrow as a test, and if all goes well I'll do some turkey legs.  There will be sausages and hotdogs too.  I also picked up some jalapenos to do a variation on turds - I'm going to stuff the peppers with some hotdog and some smoked cheddar, wrap them in bacon and smoke them.  I might smoke some sweet onions too.  We'll see how hungry everyone is and if they bring anything smoke worthy.  Oh yeah, we're having company. :)

Tom,
I've been following this thread with great interest!  If you're smoking something that takes quite a long time (pork shoulder or brisket) do you need to add some source of humidity?  How would you do that with this smoker?  And where'd you score the barrel?

Thanks!
John Childs

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1278 on: May 30, 2011, 06:57:00 am »
Then having a corresponding website. I have investors interested but Im thinking I may be able to do it on my own. My biggest financial hurdle would be the website SEO and its something I still dont entirely understand. 

Cap if you need help with that, just send me a PM. I don't mean to boast, but I'm pretty good with the internets.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1279 on: May 30, 2011, 08:08:07 am »
I'm going to smoke a chicken in it tomorrow as a test, and if all goes well I'll do some turkey legs.  There will be sausages and hotdogs too.  I also picked up some jalapenos to do a variation on turds - I'm going to stuff the peppers with some hotdog and some smoked cheddar, wrap them in bacon and smoke them.  I might smoke some sweet onions too.  We'll see how hungry everyone is and if they bring anything smoke worthy.  Oh yeah, we're having company. :)

Tom,
I've been following this thread with great interest!  If you're smoking something that takes quite a long time (pork shoulder or brisket) do you need to add some source of humidity?  How would you do that with this smoker?  And where'd you score the barrel?

Thanks!

fatdogale

no need to add any moisture, there will be plenty in the drum. you can see the condensation in there even after 12 or more hours. I did a pork but for a long smoke and it came out unbelievably juicy.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:36:10 am by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #1280 on: May 30, 2011, 11:39:37 am »
Haven't been able to do a lot of BBQ the last few months, but did want to share a recent success.

I marinated a package of chicken drumettes in a really good sour baltic porter, Franks Hot Sauce and some of my house rub.  Then smoked over cherry wood for 45 minutes at 300F.  There was a nice smokiness, mild heat, and a unique cherry fruitiness that I believe came from the beer.

But I also took the spent marinade, boiled it down and added some brown sugar to taste.  Turned into a killer BBQ sauce for dipping the drumettes in, and also used it with some pork ribs I had smoked earlier in the day.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1281 on: May 30, 2011, 04:13:20 pm »
Culinary metalwork.

Ill keep you guys posted.
Sounds awesome Cap, I can't wait to hear about it as you get going.

Tom,
I've been following this thread with great interest!  If you're smoking something that takes quite a long time (pork shoulder or brisket) do you need to add some source of humidity?  How would you do that with this smoker?  And where'd you score the barrel?

Thanks!
I'll have to take Cap's word on this, I haven't tried to smoke anything like that yet.  I'll get to it eventually. :)

I got the barrel from Al's Seattle Barrel CO, 4716 Airport Way S, Seattle, WA 98108.  (206) 622-7218

Call them ahead of time, it may take them a day to have one for you since you want it before it is painted and lined.  Tell them you want an open head barrel, and a lid with holes in it (it makes it easier).  You can also tell them you don't need the lid gasket, I had to scrape out the new one that they had installed.  And you don't need the rubber gaskets they put in the lid holes either.  Or the ring that holds the lid on.  Well, that's what I would do if I was getting another one.  It was $45 plus tax.

It took me a long time to figure out how to control the temps right, but once I figured out what I was doing it was really easy.  The smoking went well, everything turned out great.  The words "unbelievable", "amazing", and "incredible" were bandied about.  ;D  My neighbor wants me to smoke salmon for him when he goes fishing, I agreed immediately of course. :)

I forgot to take pics though, so I guess it never happened.  ;)
Tom Schmidlin

ccarlson

« Reply #1282 on: May 30, 2011, 08:01:10 pm »
Did you smoke the chicken? If so, how did the skin come out. I have trouble with mine coming out a little tough.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1283 on: May 30, 2011, 09:46:08 pm »
Well, regarding the UDS, I say for the money it is the only way to go. Its relatively cheap to build  and it is very fuel efficient. You only need a couple of pounds of charcoal and wood chunks for up to a twenty hour cook. Once you get the hang of using one it is basically set it and forget it. The fire box is contained in the drum while you cook so the fire risk is very very low, no big deal to load it up and then go to bed, in the morning it will be cookin away at the same temp, check it then go to work, when you get home that 20 pound packer brisket will be ready and cooked to perfection.

If Ron comes up and or when I build my own UDS I will post how too pics with a tutorial on how to do it.

It really is very easy to set one up and sooo worth it!

And yes, I do owe you some beer, just haven't brewed any in a while. Its my crazy time of year.  ;D
Maybe I will be there before you! don't sweat the beer. We will invite bluesman and drink his beer. I hear it is better than Sam Adams. Just got to buy some Bear Claws.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #1284 on: May 30, 2011, 09:48:58 pm »
Did you smoke the chicken? If so, how did the skin come out. I have trouble with mine coming out a little tough.

There are many techniques employed to get "crispy" chicken skin when smoking, some start low and slow, then finish on a grill.  I smoke my chicken as hot as possible, which is just over 300F on my smoker, and seems to do a good job.  Chicken doesn't need a lot of smoke, so don't worry about doing it low and slow.

I have had good luck getting crispy skin doing whole turkey low and slow, but the extended time on the smoker is able to dry it out and crisp it up.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1285 on: May 30, 2011, 11:22:42 pm »
The skin was great on the chicken, no problem at all.  It was spatchcocked and rubbed, the rub had a pretty healthy dose of brown sugar in for whatever that's worth.  The turkey legs on the other hand, the skin ended up a little tough on those.  They either got salt and pepper or a spicy rub with no sugar.  I don't know that it was the sugar, but it's a possibility.  I didn't brine any of it, but probably will next time, maybe brine some and not others, experiment a bit.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1286 on: May 31, 2011, 01:01:52 am »
Ok, here's the price list for the build, sorry about the crappy formatting.  I think the biggest issue I'm having is with how much I spent on the fire basket.  I think I could have had a better one welded for cheaper, although it works just fine.  I probably could have saved some money if I hadn't been so impatient too, but oh well.  If I decide to do another one it will be a little cheaper, since I already have the springs, hog rings, and some left over conduit nuts.

The parts list is really similar to the one I linked to before, but there are a few changes, plus I included the fire basket parts.

1 - reconditioned drum                                                                                   $45

Bottom air vents
1 - 3/4" brass ball valve                                                                                  $10.65
3 - 3/4" close black steel pipe nipples                                                                $2.70
2 - 3/4" black steel pipe caps                                                                           $2.62
6 - 3/4" conduit nuts (2 packs of 4)                                                                  $1.82
6 - giant washers to fit over the pipe nipples                                                      $4.92

Grate and bolts to hold it
4 - 1 1/2" x 1/4" bolts, nuts, and lock washers                                                    $1.52
1 - 22.5" weber grill grate                                                                                $18.99

Handles: one for the lid, two for the sides
3 - handles                                                                                                   $16.44
6 - #12-24 x 1/2" bolts, nuts, and washers                                                         $1.21

Smoke vent
1 - conduit cover blank                                                                                   $0.61
1 - 2" x 1/4" bolt, 4 nuts, 3 washers                                                                  $0.77
1 - spring (pack of six mixed)                                                                           $3.72

Fire Basket
1 - 13" pizza pan                                                                                            $6.94
1 - 13" weber charcoal grate                                                                            $8.99
2 - 12" x 24" x 3/4" sheets of expanded steel                                                       $27.98
17 - copper coated hog rings (pack of 100)                                                         $3.49
3 - 3" x 3/8" bolts, 9 nuts, 3 washers, 6 fender washers                                        $4.20

Tax                                                                                                              $12.66
Smoker Total                                                                                                                        $176.23

Extras
1 - 30" diameter x 36" tall universal water smoker cover                                         $7.95
1 - Maverick dual probe smoker thermometer                                                        $34.99

Total                                                                                                                                       $219.93
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #1287 on: May 31, 2011, 07:47:09 am »
I made some chili this weekend - I wanted to try 'red chili'.  Just meat, broth & spices.  No beans.  I've been watching a few chili cook-off's of this type of chili on Food Network or Travel Channel or some dang place, and decided I'd try my hand at it.  I forgot to take any photos, but here's basically what I did:

3 lbs Tri Tip - Fat trimmed & cut into 1/4" pieces
1 15oz Can Beef broth
1 15oz Can Chicken broth
1 8oz Can tomato sauce
2 Jalapeno peppers - puree'd in blender

The Spice mix consisted of four different types of chili powders (A hot mexican chili powder, a California chili powder, some cayenne powder and some 'store bought' chili powder), granulated onion, granulated garlic, granulated Cumin and a bit of salt.

The spice mix was added in two 'dumps' - one as the broth & tomato sauce started cooking and another an hour and a half into cooking along w/ the puree'd jalapenos (2 3/4 hours total cooking time). 

I was quite pleased with the results.  I wound up with a thick, meaty and nicely spicy chili.  It was pretty hot, so I held off on using the habanero peppers I got - I might add some to the leftovers, cook it down a bit more & see where I'm at heat-wise. 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1288 on: May 31, 2011, 08:54:03 am »
Well, regarding the UDS, I say for the money it is the only way to go. Its relatively cheap to build  and it is very fuel efficient. You only need a couple of pounds of charcoal and wood chunks for up to a twenty hour cook. Once you get the hang of using one it is basically set it and forget it. The fire box is contained in the drum while you cook so the fire risk is very very low, no big deal to load it up and then go to bed, in the morning it will be cookin away at the same temp, check it then go to work, when you get home that 20 pound packer brisket will be ready and cooked to perfection.

If Ron comes up and or when I build my own UDS I will post how too pics with a tutorial on how to do it.

It really is very easy to set one up and sooo worth it!

And yes, I do owe you some beer, just haven't brewed any in a while. Its my crazy time of year.  ;D
Maybe I will be there before you! don't sweat the beer. We will invite bluesman and drink his beer. I hear it is better than Sam Adams. Just got to buy some Bear Claws.

We can make that happen.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1289 on: May 31, 2011, 08:55:40 am »
Ok, here's the price list for the build, sorry about the crappy formatting.  I think the biggest issue I'm having is with how much I spent on the fire basket.  I think I could have had a better one welded for cheaper, although it works just fine.  I probably could have saved some money if I hadn't been so impatient too, but oh well.  If I decide to do another one it will be a little cheaper, since I already have the springs, hog rings, and some left over conduit nuts.

The parts list is really similar to the one I linked to before, but there are a few changes, plus I included the fire basket parts.

1 - reconditioned drum                                                                                   $45

Bottom air vents
1 - 3/4" brass ball valve                                                                                  $10.65
3 - 3/4" close black steel pipe nipples                                                                $2.70
2 - 3/4" black steel pipe caps                                                                           $2.62
6 - 3/4" conduit nuts (2 packs of 4)                                                                  $1.82
6 - giant washers to fit over the pipe nipples                                                      $4.92

Grate and bolts to hold it
4 - 1 1/2" x 1/4" bolts, nuts, and lock washers                                                    $1.52
1 - 22.5" weber grill grate                                                                                $18.99

Handles: one for the lid, two for the sides
3 - handles                                                                                                   $16.44
6 - #12-24 x 1/2" bolts, nuts, and washers                                                         $1.21

Smoke vent
1 - conduit cover blank                                                                                   $0.61
1 - 2" x 1/4" bolt, 4 nuts, 3 washers                                                                  $0.77
1 - spring (pack of six mixed)                                                                           $3.72

Fire Basket
1 - 13" pizza pan                                                                                            $6.94
1 - 13" weber charcoal grate                                                                            $8.99
2 - 12" x 24" x 3/4" sheets of expanded steel                                                       $27.98
17 - copper coated hog rings (pack of 100)                                                         $3.49
3 - 3" x 3/8" bolts, 9 nuts, 3 washers, 6 fender washers                                        $4.20

Tax                                                                                                              $12.66
Smoker Total                                                                                                                        $176.23

Extras
1 - 30" diameter x 36" tall universal water smoker cover                                         $7.95
1 - Maverick dual probe smoker thermometer                                                        $34.99

Total                                                                                                                                       $219.93

Nice work Tom!  :)

Thanks for posting this great info.
Ron Price