Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462363 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2010, 11:35:45 am »
Do you use a marinade for the shrimp or...?

Great looking Q!
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2010, 08:05:32 am »
Do you use a marinade for the shrimp or...?

Great looking Q!

on the shrimp,  i just used a little salt and pepper along with some dizzy pig tsunami spin.

here are the past few cooks...

la bomba dogs
hamburgers w/ homemade quacamole
NatureWell ribeye steaks

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2010, 09:23:44 am »
Looks great!

I just grilled the good ole' American burgers and dogs last night. Sometimes simpler is better.

I like to use a dallop of herbed butter in the middle of the burger to bring it a notch.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2010, 02:34:08 pm »

pork tenderloin

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2010, 08:34:37 am »
Good eats!

I grilled some Chicken Breasts indirect last night ... sorry no pics.  Pulled off the grill at 180F internal temp.  Excellent results!

Do you use a thermometer during the grilling session.  I use a remote thermometer for most of my grilling with the exception of burgers, steaks and dogs or thinner cuts. It ensures doneness to your own tastes.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2010, 09:04:47 am »
Good eats!

I grilled some Chicken Breasts indirect last night ... sorry no pics.  Pulled off the grill at 180F internal temp.  Excellent results!

Do you use a thermometer during the grilling session.  I use a remote thermometer for most of my grilling with the exception of burgers, steaks and dogs or thinner cuts. It ensures doneness to your own tastes.

absolutely.  i think one of the keys to successful cooks is proper temps.  i use a thermapen and would highly recommend it, despite it's price.  they are truly wonderful.  i also have a couple thermometers, one remote, one non-remote.  the sunbeam non-remote seems to work better than my maverick et-7, although i haven't given the maverick much of a chance.

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2010, 10:32:52 am »
Good eats!

absolutely.  i think one of the keys to successful cooks is proper temps.  i use a thermapen and would highly recommend it, despite it's price.  they are truly wonderful.  i also have a couple thermometers, one remote, one non-remote.  the sunbeam non-remote seems to work better than my maverick et-7, although i haven't given the maverick much of a chance.

I use the Maverick et73 and really like it. It has taken all of the guess work out of BBQing.  I wouldn't have it any other way at this point. 
How did you grill your pork t-loin?
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2010, 11:01:55 am »
and to what temp - little pink in the middle isn't it? I think that would freak out a bunch of people.
I personally don't have an issue with it...  :)
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2010, 12:56:36 pm »
Good eats!

I use the Maverick et73 and really like it. It has taken all of the guess work out of BBQing.  I wouldn't have it any other way at this point. 
How did you grill your pork t-loin?

a little salt and pepper and some simply marvelous season all.  grilled over natural wood charcoal (on the egg).

AHA# 196703

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2010, 01:04:07 pm »
and to what temp - little pink in the middle isn't it? I think that would freak out a bunch of people.
I personally don't have an issue with it...  :)

i actually meant to pull that at 155 internal (at the thickest point of the loin).  that one actually got pulled at 159.   from what i've read "properly" cooked pork tenderloin has a hint of rose in the center.

AHA# 196703

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2010, 04:30:08 pm »
"properly" cooked pork tenderloin has a hint of rose in the center.

Yeah, the cook it to death so you don't get worms rule really doesn't apply to the new space age pigs we have.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2010, 06:07:58 pm »
dizzy pig stuff and salt& pepper on everything....  some olive oil as well on the veggies...

AHA# 196703

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2010, 06:08:52 pm »
"properly" cooked pork tenderloin has a hint of rose in the center.

Yeah, the cook it to death so you don't get worms rule really doesn't apply to the new space age pigs we have.

it was actually a hormel pork tenderloin.  next time you are in the store, check the recommended cooking temps...  155-160.....

here's the official usda temperature chart

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Keep_Food_Safe_Food_Safety_Basics/index.asp

keep in mind that once something is pulled from the grill it will rise 5 degrees minimum and even more on larger cuts of beef that are cooked slow and low to say 195.  those may rise more than 10 degrees.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 06:15:17 pm by deepsouth »

AHA# 196703

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2010, 06:44:57 pm »
Here's what they used to suggest:

The wording of a CDC (Centers for Disease Control) recommendation from 1998 (as a result of recent cases caused by cougar jerky in the southwestern US) is as follows:

"Cooking is one of the most common methods of assuring that ‘Trichinella’ are destroyed; a temperature of 170 F (77 C) substantially exceeds the thermal death point and is usually achieved if the meat is cooked until it is no longer pink "

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2010, 06:56:52 pm »
right, 170 SUBSTANTIALLY exceeds the thermal death point.  once something is dead, cooking it to death isn't necessary.  i mean, by that measure, all meat would be well done and that's totally unnecessary.

AHA# 196703