Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 459423 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1455 on: August 17, 2011, 01:18:43 pm »
You should/could wash the pork with vinegar before applying the rub. Mustard works pretty good too. Personally I'm not big on letting the rub sit more than a few minutes. I like to apply it right before it goes in the smoker. Good tips on the chilled meat. I've been letting it come to room temp first before the smoking. Will try it chilled.

I thawed out some chopped BBQ pork (from a year ago) this week and it went into a chimichanga filling made with jalapeño refried beans and roasted green-chiles. Made four 8 oz deep-fried chimichangas. That's good eatin there and the smoky pork just brings it all together.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #1456 on: August 17, 2011, 01:28:36 pm »
I've heard the idea before about using mustard to help the dry rub stick, but not sure I want to go that route.  I usually do a quick vinegar wash on my pork before dry-rubbing though.  Pretty standard for me. 

And I always let the meat warm up to room temp - or at least close to it - before it goes into the smoker. 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1457 on: August 20, 2011, 08:17:10 pm »
Chicken wingz w/rub, taters and Hatch hot chiles. Polish wedding sausage garlic flavor. Washed down with homebrew. I am complete.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1458 on: August 20, 2011, 09:29:22 pm »
Fig trees in the pots?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1459 on: August 21, 2011, 10:33:03 am »
Nice looking Q euge!

How do you like the BGE so far?
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1460 on: August 21, 2011, 01:10:32 pm »
Nice looking Q euge!

How do you like the BGE so far?

Thanks.

I love it. Not perfect by any means but close. Fits my needs as a smoker, BBQ pit and grill! I've taken the place-setter out and propped up the grate to the level of the rim. The extra three inches pretty much does the same thing as the place-setter acting as a heat-shield/deflector.

Fig trees in the pots?

Yes. My second droughty summer with them. In the current climate they are very difficult to keep in pots, and I may plant them this fall.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1461 on: August 26, 2011, 08:11:12 am »
awesome looking stuff euge.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #1462 on: August 29, 2011, 09:33:16 am »
My ribs & pulled pork came out great!  :)  

Ribs:

Nice crust.  Amazingly tender & fell right off the bone when I tried to cut the ribs apart.  :)  

Pulled Pork (Made from a 4.5lb shoulder):

I had a few ribs & made a pulled pork sandwich when the smoking was done.  The next day (yesterday) was pulled pork tacos w/ fresh cilantro & fresh-made salsa.  :)   (Sorry - no photos there - I was busy eating!)  
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1463 on: August 29, 2011, 10:19:27 am »
Looking good. What kind of grill/smoker setup do you use?
Ron Price

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #1464 on: August 29, 2011, 10:26:55 am »
I use a propane-powered, Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Series smoker.  I've had excellent results with it from the start.  Though I would like to get one that's about twice as wide (so I don't have to cut my rib racks in half!)

For this session, I used all hickory chips for my smoke (I usually mix 2 different woods - but decided to keep it all hickory this time). 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1465 on: August 29, 2011, 12:16:51 pm »
A couple of Pork Ribs from last weekend. This phone pic was taken just before they came off.  Tender, but not too tender, and tasty!! Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1466 on: August 29, 2011, 08:34:39 pm »
Drool.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1467 on: August 29, 2011, 10:33:19 pm »
Shoot ah'ma gonna have to do me some ribs then. Looks delish.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1468 on: August 30, 2011, 05:16:23 am »
Good farkin' BBQ there my freind!  8)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1469 on: September 04, 2011, 01:29:05 pm »
Might do some ribs today or tomorrow. But they had brisket packers on sale... I carefully selected my brisket looking for even distribution of fat and uniformity of the overall cut. These packers happened to be select-grade with a bit more fat than a super-trimmed brisket. Figured I got a nice 9.5 pounder after looking through the pile.

About 3 hours in at 150 slowly raised to 225 and held for the next 12 hours.

Put the brisket on about 1530 and pulled it from the egg at 0645 when finally tender. Sealed in pan with foil and wrapped in 2 towels. This was placed in an unlit oven while I went to bed. Just unwrapped the still very warm brisket at perfect serving temps. Quality control gives this brisket high marks. I used my own carefully crafted rub after massaging the meat liberally with nước mắm.

I figured since this particular brisket was leaner than my usual "Choice" packer it would have to be lower and slower than usual. And it was. Normally I'd use temps up to 275 for 1.25 to 1.5 hours per pound with the cuts being about 10-12 pounds each. Use a water-pan when doing brisket for humidity and temp stability- this also catches the bulk of the grease that drips off the brisket. I found that in extremely long and low smokes that drip lots of fat directly onto the coals results in a funky flavor in my BGE. The smoldering greasy smoke imparts some of that nastiness to the bark and ruin the brisket. I'll have to say this has only been a problem with beef briskets, and not lamb, pork or chicken.