Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462027 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1485 on: September 06, 2011, 03:50:23 pm »
I made more pulled pork this past weekend:

After 7 hours in the smoker:

Pulled:

The accompaniment (Four Roses Bourbon & a glass of my 'Summer Snob' Imperial IPA):

That's a thing of beauty.

Making me hugry right about now.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1486 on: September 06, 2011, 08:55:58 pm »
Hey Nic, you have to try some Red Boat. http://redboatfishsauce.com/ I use it in so many things that it is crazy. Anything else available in the US is a mere shadow of what "Real" pure fish sauce is. Albeit a stinky shadow. 

I just dont get pulled pork, what is the draw? Every time I have had it it just seems like stringy over cooked pork that is pulled apart.

I just love perfectly smoked pork and beef that slices and holds together. 

Am I missing something?

Flame suit on.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1487 on: September 06, 2011, 09:28:22 pm »
Hey Nic, you have to try some Red Boat. http://redboatfishsauce.com/ I use it in so many things that it is crazy. Anything else available in the US is a mere shadow of what "Real" pure fish sauce is. Albeit a stinky shadow.  

I just dont get pulled pork, what is the draw? Every time I have had it it just seems like stringy over cooked pork that is pulled apart.

Am I missing something?

Flame suit on.

No flame suit required.

Perfect pulled pork is simple. It is the point at which the pork is cooked and can be pulled apart. Not stringy or overdone but simply done...that is the trick.

Sounds simple but requires the "mastering of the smoke" that we all strive to ... master.

I have mutilated many a shoulder before I had mastered one. It is a matter of time and temperature not to mention the rub.  ;)

All kidding aside, I can understand your contention. There is a fine line between good and bad BBQ...and that decision is left to the taste buds of the beholder but...I think we can all agree that a juicy, tender, flavorful slab of smoky goodness is the benchmark by which we would like to set our sights on, and at no simple task.

Trial and error is the order of BBQ. Subjective as it may seem...we all know it when we taste it.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1488 on: September 07, 2011, 12:03:09 am »

Am I missing something?

Flame suit on.

Oh you are right cap but as bluesman points out "mastering of the smoke" is an art. Techniques aside I feel like I can take on a brisket with confidence. Good lord everyone I talk to (just about- family included) sears the brisket, wraps it in foil and then a 4 hour stay in the oven. Comes out perfect I was told just tonight. Yet they'll rave about some bbq joint... They could have it at home armed with a little knowledge and patience. Not to get on a high-horse mind you ;) but I've had those dry grey lumps of meat.

Pork is gonna taste great roasted and sliced or smoked and shredded. I have a suspicion that the finely chopped or shredded pork is a hold-over from when people lost their teeth early in life and needed their bbq pre-chewed. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1489 on: September 07, 2011, 03:21:45 am »
Ok, ok, ok, FINE, I'll smoke something this weekend.

With it getting colder out I feel naked without that smoke smell in the air. Cap I agree with you, smoked pork, sliced, is fantastic. However pulled pork can also be amazing, but if it's pulled and looks stringy, it's definitely overcooked. It should come apart in big chunks with little glistening bits of fat in between.

Mmmmmmmmmm...
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1490 on: September 07, 2011, 11:22:17 am »
The one fish sauce I do love:  Lea and Perrins.

Re pulled pork...not my bag either.  But then I'm from Kansas City, and our BBQ leans more to brisket, ribs, and sausages.  I've done pulled pork a lot of ways, but for me its a lot of time and work for a product that I just don't love..now, take those 12 hours on a smoker and apply to a brisket, then run through a meat slicer thinly and pile on bread with just the right amount of sauce and pickles...that's more like it for me!!

I guess I find pork less flavorful than other meats particularly in that format, so pork shoulder is more interesting to me in other preparations (ground and spiced into italian sausages, then smoked...or even dry cured/fermented into a salami type product...capricola perhaps?).  But I'm sure its mostly just my regional preferences.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1491 on: September 07, 2011, 07:06:28 pm »
Oh Ill take beef bbq over pork any day of the week.

My favorite to smoke is a brisket. With the right smoker it is very easy. Though Beef chuck ribs are a close second. We Q once a week now. Including grilling, basically. If Im cooking meat im building a fire. Thats just the way it is.  And nearly every other meal is Vegetarian. The exception being if someone comes over. My wife says meat means hospitality, sort of breaking out the best for lack of a better translation.

You use a WSM right nic?  I never used one but I am sure they are like the UDS. Its set it and forget it. Brisket butts or whatever come off perfect with little attention and fuel. Get properly marbled meat and you can never go wrong.

I love pork butt or pork shoulder, but it has to be hot and fast smoked for like four five hours with an I T of 140 160 depending on fat content. I like to slice it but, still tender enough to cut easily with a butter knife. I have seen people take the pulled pork up to 185 or 200, if thats the case then the pork is already over cooked. I know pork shoulders are forgiving though especially the fattier ones. . I have been told some people. But even pulled pork on a sandwich, I don't like it, I would rather have a slice on the bread.

I have had pulled pork that everyone says is "great" But I just wasn't into it, I always found myself wanting it to be back together.

Oh Beer Monger, hope you dont think Im singling you out.  ;) Q looks awesome, I just wish it was back together.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 07:09:18 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1492 on: September 07, 2011, 08:25:10 pm »
Oh Ill take beef bbq over pork any day of the week.

My favorite to smoke is a brisket. With the right smoker it is very easy. Though Beef chuck ribs are a close second. We Q once a week now. Including grilling, basically. If Im cooking meat im building a fire. Thats just the way it is.  And nearly every other meal is Vegetarian. The exception being if someone comes over. My wife says meat means hospitality, sort of breaking out the best for lack of a better translation.

You use a WSM right nic?  I never used one but I am sure they are like the UDS. Its set it and forget it. Brisket butts or whatever come off perfect with little attention and fuel. Get properly marbled meat and you can never go wrong.

I love pork butt or pork shoulder, but it has to be hot and fast smoked for like four five hours with an I T of 140 160 depending on fat content. I like to slice it but, still tender enough to cut easily with a butter knife. I have seen people take the pulled pork up to 185 or 200, if thats the case then the pork is already over cooked. I know pork shoulders are forgiving though especially the fattier ones. . I have been told some people. But even pulled pork on a sandwich, I don't like it, I would rather have a slice on the bread.

I have had pulled pork that everyone says is "great" But I just wasn't into it, I always found myself wanting it to be back together.

Oh Beer Monger, hope you dont think Im singling you out.  ;) Q looks awesome, I just wish it was back together.

A sound perspective Cap...BBQ like beer or wine falls to the taste buds of the beholder.

The old addage...One man's prize is another man's disgust.

I can appreciate any opinion if it is based on experience which in your case is very respected here. I have alot of respect for your culinary skills including BBQ.

Beef, Pork, or fowl, and lets not forget our vegetarian friends  ;) ...all have their place at the table. My philosophy is simple. There's a specialty in every town and I want to learn how to recreate their magic.

Hopefully it can be mastered on the grill.  :)
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1493 on: September 08, 2011, 08:12:16 am »
Have a WSM...use it rarely.  More often than not it is just a chamber for the use of my cold smoking rig!

For shorter term smokes (under 5 hours) which I've been doing more of lately, I still just use a regular weber kettle, occasionally with a smoking baffle.  For pork ribs, in particular, I've become quite enamored lately of higher temps.  I always thought Steven Raichlen was full of it when he said the same (to me low n slow was unassailable dogma) but I tell you st louis cut and back ribs get very tender, and still quite smokey, in just a couple hours!  I'm not direct grilling them yet which seems a bridge too far, but a 300-350 degree "smoke roasting" produces surprisingly good ribs in my experience, often in a short enough timeframe that you can do it weeknights after work.

That's another thing regarding flavor of pork...my pork ribs are usually very spiced (Chinese marinades, Jamaican jerk marinades, strong sauces, etc) and they make a good flavor canvas, so to speak.  I'm less enamored of lightly seasoned pork.  But that's just a personal taste preference.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1494 on: September 08, 2011, 08:33:22 am »
I've been quietly following the discussion about pulled vs. sliced and couldn't stand it any longer...  I think Ron summed it up pretty good. We all have our preferences whether it be beef vs. pork, Ford vs. Chevy, IPA vs. RIS, Pulled vs. Sliced, etc...  I guess what I've learned over the years is to enjoy each for what it is and not so much for what I think it should be. I prefer a pulled pork sammie cooked to 200F but if Cap handed me a sammie with sliced pork, I'd be all over it. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #1495 on: September 08, 2011, 04:10:12 pm »
What hamiltont said.

My favorite sandwich is cutting the "rind" off of a smoked butt. MMMMmmmm
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1496 on: September 08, 2011, 11:02:07 pm »
http://boingboing.net/2011/09/08/braaiday-south-african-barbecue-parody-of-rebecca-blacks-friday.html

In SA they call BBQ "Braai" and so a parody of Rebecca Black's "Friday" (Which, FYI, I have never seen all the way through) was born. Tomorrow is braaiday for me.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1497 on: September 09, 2011, 07:10:56 am »
http://boingboing.net/2011/09/08/braaiday-south-african-barbecue-parody-of-rebecca-blacks-friday.html

In SA they call BBQ "Braai" and so a parody of Rebecca Black's "Friday" (Which, FYI, I have never seen all the way through) was born. Tomorrow is braaiday for me.

It's Baaiday Phil!!!

In the spirit of BBQ... 8)
Ron Price

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #1498 on: September 23, 2011, 12:09:44 pm »
This was an experimental butt that came out good.  Injected with a mix of O.J., yellow mustard, and pork rub.

Next, apply liberal amount of Rogue Pork Rub, and refrigerate for 7 hours.

3:00AM, in the smoker.  Smoke @ 180F until morning.

10:00AM and all is well with the twin butts.  (Butt on right has the injection).

My BBQ area on the Rogue River.

Time for some ABTs.

Too lazy to pull, I chopped up the pork.  It looks good next to the pils.

Dinner time.  Pork tacos with white onion/cilantro, garden tomato, salsa roja, sharp Tillamook cheddar.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:13:31 pm by roguejim »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1499 on: September 23, 2011, 12:31:46 pm »
Nice place! And great looking pork there...

How did it come out injected vs non-injected?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis