Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 461559 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1605 on: November 14, 2011, 11:57:12 pm »
I'm not really cold smoking this Cap, just on the cooler side.  The ProQ won't go up to 120 let alone 175, especially not with the ambient temp outside (36F presently).  I do cheese and malt with the ProQ, and some flour I made smoked chocolate chip cookies with.  They weren't that great.  I've found that you need to have a bit more ventilation with the ProQ so the smoke can waft out easily, otherwise you end up with an ashy tasting finished product.  Probably something people already knew.

Just another hour or so longer and I'll post pics of the finished product.  I had a bit of a setback when a storm blew through, we got graupel / soft hail / snow pellets for about 15 minutes and it knocked the temp down 15 degrees in 3 minutes.  I guess when you have a small fire going it's hard to keep up melting all of that stuff. ::)  I checked the weather before I started, it was supposed to be clear all day after some morning rain.  Liars.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1606 on: November 15, 2011, 01:39:29 am »
Well, here it is.  It sat in the brine a bit long, so it's too salty and too dry, but still damn tasty.  it will do really well crumbled up in some smoked salmon dip.

I've got 40+ lbs to go through, so future batches should be better.  This was my test batch trying to smoke at lower temp with the UDS, and I'm happy with the way it turned out in that respect.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1607 on: November 15, 2011, 07:42:43 am »
Nice looking salmon Tom!

I was smoking a 2lb slab of salmon on my WSM last night but forgot to take pics. Flamesuit on.  ;)

Turned out real well. I smoked it at 225F for 2hrs with a brown sugar and Dizzy Pig Shakin' the Tree rub.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1608 on: November 19, 2011, 06:50:45 pm »

First pork pulled.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1609 on: November 19, 2011, 07:33:39 pm »
STFU! All that cooking you do and it's your FIRST pulled pork?
Looks great, I'd go with slider buns and coleslaw - but pfft I'm from Chicago....
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1610 on: November 19, 2011, 07:50:42 pm »
Oh no!  The first one I pulled today!
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #1611 on: November 19, 2011, 10:27:50 pm »

What's your process for curing whole heads of cabbage?

Cut the core out of the cabbage head, replace that space with a pile of salt.
Pile them in the barrel with the cored out head facing up.
Flood it with water, put a rock or some other weight on top to keep it from floating up.
Keep it cold, keep it from freezing. Need 6-8 weeks before it's ready. (at least)

(I did use whey from kefir last year to accelerate the fermentation, but you don't need to do anything else)

Interesting smoking product.  Looks similar to this below, only less expensive.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1612 on: November 20, 2011, 06:31:02 am »
OK that's funny; what does

have to do with cabbage?

Conversely you can ask what the heck cabbage is doing in the BBQ topic.
Maybe we're both messed up.  :-*

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1613 on: November 20, 2011, 08:01:04 am »
Oh no!  The first one I pulled today!

That's more like it.  ;D

Anyone smoking a turkey for T-giving...I am!

I'll post pics.  :)

I'm using a brine for 24 hrs.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1614 on: November 20, 2011, 08:02:13 am »

At least you used the word BBQ in your post.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1615 on: November 20, 2011, 12:09:32 pm »

At least you used the word BBQ in your post.  ;D

Yesterday I smoked 2 racks of St Louis cut, one rack of baby backs, 2 center-cut lamb chops and 2 pounds of garlic Polish wedding sausage. The rub was minimal and the smoke was low and slow- about six hours.

The meat will be divided up, vac-sealed and further distributed amongst my immediate relatives on Thanksgiving. Nothing says I love you like BBQ!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1616 on: November 20, 2011, 02:14:57 pm »
Made a MUDS Fri. First cook was Saturday. I made the fire basket a little small. I was having trouble getting it up over 200. Gonna make a bigger basket this week. Did a boston but and it took a little longer to get the IT where I want it. It came out OK though. Just not as fall-a-party as deepsouths.

Oh, and why sauerkraut in the BBQ thread? Cause smoked meats are awesome with sauerkraut and no one can find the ethnic cooking thread.

Packed our crock this weekend. I found a much easier way to pack it down. Real easy on the back.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1617 on: November 20, 2011, 05:26:48 pm »
I picked up an Orion cooker, and a BBQ guru this weekend. Gotta be right on the edge of the wife's last nerve.  :-*
Also, first time using firewire bbq skewers - they're pretty cool, easy to flip around and you can pack a ton of meat on em.
Instead of making a pretty skewer with everthing on there, I loaded all of one type of meat on each one to better control cook times.
Pork and Chicken went on about 10-15 minutes ahead of the beef and veggie skewers.
Slid everything off into a crockpot (just needed something huge to hold all that meat), and served over a bed of rice. Simple, not pretty, really good though.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1618 on: November 20, 2011, 06:27:24 pm »
Made a MUDS Fri. First cook was Saturday. I made the fire basket a little small. I was having trouble getting it up over 200. Gonna make a bigger basket this week. Did a boston but and it took a little longer to get the IT where I want it. It came out OK though. Just not as fall-a-party as deepsouths.

Now that is just what I need for the RV.  ;D

That is one fine looking little MUDS.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1619 on: November 20, 2011, 06:30:21 pm »

Oh, and why sauerkraut in the BBQ thread? Cause smoked meats are awesome with sauerkraut and no one can find the ethnic cooking thread.

Packed our crock this weekend. I found a much easier way to pack it down. Real easy on the back.

You got that right. Love me some homeade kraut!

I filled my crock last weekend. It will be ready by the end of December. Just in time for New Years.  ;)

I'll have to smoke a shoulder to accompany.
Ron Price