Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 458473 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1620 on: November 21, 2011, 12:15:17 am »
Anyone smoking a turkey for T-giving...I am!
I am too.  We're going to do two small ones, one on the UDS and the other traditional style in the oven.  We don't mind leftovers. :)

I figure I'll spatchcock the turkey and do it like I've done chickens in the past.  Undecided on the rub, but I'll think of something.  I just need to dig through the cabinet and some recipes and see what strikes my fancy.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1621 on: November 21, 2011, 07:46:51 am »
Anyone smoking a turkey for T-giving...I am!
I am too.  We're going to do two small ones, one on the UDS and the other traditional style in the oven.  We don't mind leftovers. :)

I figure I'll spatchcock the turkey and do it like I've done chickens in the past.  Undecided on the rub, but I'll think of something.  I just need to dig through the cabinet and some recipes and see what strikes my fancy.

I have a 12lb bird that I'm brining and will smoke at 325F with an empty water pan using the minion method. It should take about 3.5hrs or thereabouts.

We are also roasting one. We'll have about 15-20 people for dinner.
Ron Price

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #1622 on: November 21, 2011, 08:33:17 am »
add one to the smoking turkey list.  every year.

I'm smoking the cheese tonight.  I've got about 8lbs of various cheeses.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1623 on: November 21, 2011, 08:49:26 am »
I'm doing 2 smoked this year, and my daughter wants one deep fried.  One of the smoked ones goes to my shop welder who built my smoker for me last year.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1624 on: November 21, 2011, 10:26:01 am »
add one to the smoking turkey list.  every year.

I'm smoking the cheese tonight.  I've got about 8lbs of various cheeses.

Nice...what kind of cheeses are you smoking?
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1625 on: November 21, 2011, 10:28:02 am »
I'm doing 2 smoked this year, and my daughter wants one deep fried.  One of the smoked ones goes to my shop welder who built my smoker for me last year.

I was contemplating frying one as well...can you have too much turkey on T-giving.  :-\
Ron Price

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #1626 on: November 21, 2011, 11:26:20 am »
Nice...what kind of cheeses are you smoking?

Mostly mellow cheeses.  Let me see what I can remember...
Muenster, White Cheddar, Provolone, Swiss, Mozz, Pepperjack, Colby Jack, Monterrey Jack...  I think some more.

And a couple oddities:
manchego, blue, mahon

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1627 on: November 21, 2011, 03:50:27 pm »
I'm going to smoke some cheese (cheddar) and salmon for T-day too, we'll have a house full of people over for cocktails (bloody mary's mostly) starting around 11 and then a dozen or so for dinner.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1628 on: November 21, 2011, 05:26:05 pm »
I usually smoke cheddar but smoked pepperjack is a big hit around here.  Normally I smoke the cheap, non-fancy store brand cheeses, because many of the fancier cheeses are better enjoyed as is for the price, for me.  A bit of good woodsmoke can improve a boring cheese quite a bit.  I'm sure smoked red leicester or smoked parmesan or smoked gjetost would be interesting for various things, though...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1629 on: November 21, 2011, 08:05:05 pm »
I'm going to smoke some cheese (cheddar) and salmon for T-day too, we'll have a house full of people over for cocktails (bloody mary's mostly) starting around 11 and then a dozen or so for dinner.

You have a dozen cocktails for dinner? Holidays must be interesting at the Schmidlin household. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1630 on: November 21, 2011, 09:59:22 pm »

You have a dozen cocktails for dinner? Holidays must be interesting at the Schmidlin household. ;D
Never a dull moment ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1631 on: November 22, 2011, 02:38:05 am »
I usually smoke cheddar but smoked pepperjack is a big hit around here.  Normally I smoke the cheap, non-fancy store brand cheeses, because many of the fancier cheeses are better enjoyed as is for the price, for me.  A bit of good woodsmoke can improve a boring cheese quite a bit.  I'm sure smoked red leicester or smoked parmesan or smoked gjetost would be interesting for various things, though...
I've got to remember this - smoked pepperjack.  I haven't tried it yet, it sounds good.

I usually smoke Tillamook cheddar, which I like plain as well.  I get your point about smoking the cheaper stuff though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1632 on: November 22, 2011, 05:41:46 am »
I think I'll try my hand at smoking some pepperjack cheese...that sounds like a good match.

Here's my plan... let the cheese sit out in the open air for a bit before smoking to allow the outside to toughen.

I'll use my WSM... light 3 or 4 pieces of charcoal and place it on top of a piece of oak in the charcoal pan. Use the water pan with an ice bath. Then smoke the cheese for about an hour.
Ron Price

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #1633 on: November 22, 2011, 09:38:23 am »
I actually have found that the softer the cheese, the better it soaks up smoke flavor.  Hard cheeses get nice smoke on the outside, but the inside is typically unscathed by the smoke.  That's why mozz is the most popular in my family circle.
I'd avoid leaving the cheese out to toughen.  Just my 2 cents.

I should have taken a picture last night.  My grill was stuffed with cheese.  And smoke.

I hot smoked some salmon for dinner while I had my wood out (yup, said it).

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1634 on: November 22, 2011, 10:20:34 am »
I agree to not toughen the cheese before smoking.  One hour might not give you as much smoke as you want, but then you're using a different method than I am so it cold be fine.  I did a batch yesterday that went for 10 hours, and it doesn't seem to smoky.

Keep it under 90F for sure, mine was at 55F so it probably didn't take on the smoke as well as when it is warmer out (which goes directly to ryang's point about softer cheese taking smoke better)
Tom Schmidlin