Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 458487 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1635 on: November 22, 2011, 06:11:40 pm »
I did a batch yesterday that went for 10 hours, and it doesn't seem to smoky.

Smoke smaller pieces? More surface area - more smoke? Or at least you could cut your smoke time this way, maybe.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1636 on: November 22, 2011, 06:25:39 pm »

Smoke smaller pieces? More surface area - more smoke? Or at least you could cut your smoke time this way, maybe.
They're about as small as I'd like (about an inch and a half square and 6 inches long).  It's not a big deal, it's really set and forget.  It goes for as long as it goes.  By the way, when I said it's not too smoky I meant it's not over the top, but there is plenty of smoke there.  I opened one log up for a sample and the kitchen smelled like smoke :)  It's still lingering on my breath.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1637 on: November 23, 2011, 07:32:11 am »

They're about as small as I'd like (about an inch and a half square and 6 inches long).  It's not a big deal, it's really set and forget.  It goes for as long as it goes.  By the way, when I said it's not too smoky I meant it's not over the top, but there is plenty of smoke there.  I opened one log up for a sample and the kitchen smelled like smoke :)  It's still lingering on my breath.

Tom...Did you happen to measure the temp (internal) of the smoker while you were conducting the cold smoke?
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1638 on: November 23, 2011, 10:21:14 am »

Tom...Did you happen to measure the temp (internal) of the smoker while you were conducting the cold smoke?
Naturally :)  It was around 55F for most of the time, which was 10-15 degrees above ambient.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1639 on: November 23, 2011, 01:27:30 pm »
that's awesome cap.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1640 on: November 24, 2011, 12:56:18 am »
Dang!  You little scamps have been busy while I was away.  Three pages of Q-talk!

+1 on the smoked turkey.  One in the fryer too.  Dolphins & Cowboys coming down off da orbiting bird.  Beaucoup ohana in da hale.  Every variety of homemade beverage being served...

Thanksgiving is my favorite time of the year!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1641 on: November 25, 2011, 05:38:28 pm »
Turkey day was smokin'  8)

I smoked a 12 pounder that was brined for 24hrs. It was such a hit that next year I'm doing two.

Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1642 on: November 25, 2011, 07:10:46 pm »
1. That looks AWESOME !
2. What's the shiny stuff down low ? (PS - I know it's foil.... why)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1643 on: November 25, 2011, 07:21:06 pm »
The shiny stuff is the aluminum foil lining the water bowl. It caught the drippins' from the meleagris.

The real trick is the brining which gives the sweet and salty counterpart to the smoky goodness.  :)
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1644 on: November 25, 2011, 07:37:53 pm »
I've taken to pouring 2 bottles of cheap beer into a foil pan to catch the drippings, and then ladle some out to make sauce/gravy. It doesn't burn to a crisp in the pan, and I only use a few ladles of it. That's been in the egg(knockoff) - have yet to cook on the WSM. There's still the weekend ahead of me...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 07:42:27 pm by beerocd »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1645 on: November 25, 2011, 08:34:29 pm »
All that looks good. The turkey looks mighty shiny. ;) Yum Yum

Gave all the BBQ away that I had over Thanksgiving- including that which had been vac sealed. My freezers are empty of Q. Oh what should I do next?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1646 on: November 25, 2011, 09:14:36 pm »
All that looks good. The turkey looks mighty shiny. ;) Yum Yum

Gave all the BBQ away that I had over Thanksgiving- including that which had been vac sealed. My freezers are empty of Q. Oh what should I do next?

There's always TAco John's...   :D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1647 on: November 26, 2011, 01:39:47 am »
Awesome looking turkey Ron, mine didn't look nearly so pretty.  And I learned that it is way harder to spatchcock a turkey than a chicken.  The bones are thick enough in a few spots to make it a real pain.  Worth it though :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1648 on: November 26, 2011, 03:10:54 pm »
I was at my brothers for TG. It was really good they did a Jerk turkey, a grilled Turkey and a regular oven turkey. All good but I am a less is more guy when it comes to turkey. I prefer an oven roasted turkey over any other way. I wouldn't dare mention that over at the Brethren.  ;)

One thing that was funny is everyone was saying "butterflied" instead of spatchcock. They are very conservative on that side of the river. I call it the old country. They just call it butterflied to avoid saying cock. Thats just how repressed they are.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:19:45 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1649 on: November 26, 2011, 03:36:49 pm »
I guess homebrewers are more relaxed. Maybe it's the al key hol. :D

Tried to work "spatchCock" into the conversation over TG a few times with poor results. Butterfly works but I like the old-world term better.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis