Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 461970 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1650 on: November 26, 2011, 04:19:01 pm »
I was at my brothers for TG. It was really good they did a Jerk turkey, a grilled Turkey and a regular oven turkey. All good but I am a less is more guy when it comes to turkey. I prefer an oven roasted turkey over any other way. I would dare mention that over at the Brethren.  ;)

One thing that was funny is everyone was saying "butterflied" instead of spatchcock. They are very conservative on that side of the river. I call it the old country. They just call it butterflied to avoid saying cock. Thats just how repressed they are.
So cap, they're ok jerking a turkey but not spatchococking it? :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1651 on: November 26, 2011, 04:35:36 pm »
I was at my brothers for TG. It was really good they did a Jerk turkey, a grilled Turkey and a regular oven turkey. All good but I am a less is more guy when it comes to turkey. I prefer an oven roasted turkey over any other way. I would dare mention that over at the Brethren.  ;)

One thing that was funny is everyone was saying "butterflied" instead of spatchcock. They are very conservative on that side of the river. I call it the old country. They just call it butterflied to avoid saying cock. Thats just how repressed they are.

Maybe they only use spatchhens?   :)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1652 on: November 26, 2011, 07:18:50 pm »
You guys are too f-in funny.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1653 on: November 26, 2011, 09:46:35 pm »
Spatched, grilled, flied, smoked or roasted is all good with me. I really don't have a preferred method, IF the end result is good. I forgot to mention fried...which if done right is the bomb diggity.

Ron Price

Offline punatic

« Reply #1654 on: November 27, 2011, 03:24:44 am »
I was at my brothers for TG. It was really good they did a Jerk turkey, a grilled Turkey and a regular oven turkey. All good but I am a less is more guy when it comes to turkey. I prefer an oven roasted turkey over any other way. I wouldn't dare mention that over at the Brethren.  ;)

So, are they OK with choking their chickens?   :o

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1655 on: November 27, 2011, 06:35:02 am »
I personally think butterfly is an appropriate description of the procedure and usually doesn't require any further explanation, like spatchcock does. To me it's kind of like macerate. Why do you need a different description for soaking?

In either case, it is kind of fun to see the facial expressions of those that don't really know what you're talking about.  :D

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1656 on: November 27, 2011, 09:11:29 am »
Spatched, grilled, flied, smoked or roasted is all good with me. I really don't have a preferred method, IF the end result is good. I forgot to mention fried...which if done right is the bomb diggity.

Here's my first fried turkey-it was delicious.  My wife was skeptical but after she tasted it she declared the oven cooked bird was extinct.

I never take pictures after the food is done, I'm too busy eating.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1657 on: November 27, 2011, 12:58:01 pm »
If only those steins and the roaring flame of the frier made it into the pic...  :-\

Looks good though - you will tire of fried, then go to smoked, then come back to oven roasted. Vicious cycle.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline punatic

« Reply #1658 on: November 27, 2011, 01:27:07 pm »
If only those steins and the roaring flame of the frier made it into the pic...  :-\

Looks good though - you will tire of fried, then go to smoked, then come back to oven roasted. Vicious cycle.

Or you can opt for, "All of the above."   ;)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

« Reply #1659 on: November 27, 2011, 01:33:04 pm »
My Boy Scout troop sells imu roasted turkeys as a fund raiser.  We get more orders than we can cook for.  We used to put the turkeys in with a pig, but now it's all turkeys.  It's a ton of work to cook this way, and it takes two days to do it right, but it is a lot of fun and a great way to make money.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 01:34:58 pm by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1660 on: November 27, 2011, 06:46:46 pm »

Here's my first fried turkey-it was delicious.  My wife was skeptical but after she tasted it she declared the oven cooked bird was extinct.

I never take pictures after the food is done, I'm too busy eating.

Man that looks tasty...fried turkey is awesome. It's a tossup between fried, smoked and roasted. It depends on the mood.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1661 on: November 27, 2011, 07:46:33 pm »
Used two grills for this. Kamado around 275 for a while - then a super hot kettle to crust it up a bit.

The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1662 on: November 27, 2011, 07:56:35 pm »
I cooked my first rib roast the other day. Covered under roaster lid in an oven at 200F until an internal temp of 115. Rested/insulated to 129 and then into a 500F oven for 10 minutes to develop a crust. Came out a perfect medium rare.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1663 on: November 27, 2011, 09:34:32 pm »
Very nice. One of my favorite cuts. Cooks Illustrated has an interesting article on Prime RIb.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #1664 on: November 28, 2011, 04:48:14 am »
Cooks Illustrated has an interesting article on Prime RIb.

Nice.  Haven't gotten the new issue yet.  Looking forward to it.

Clint
Wort Hogs