Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 459455 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1695 on: December 06, 2011, 03:26:58 pm »
Looks good! I also did a midnight smoke. No pics.

Choice brisket packer (11.5#) lightly trimmed and seasoned with salt and pepper. I injected it with a fish-sauce, soy sauce, salt, sugar and garlic solution.

Went on the smoker around 1430 at 150 with a remote temp probe to monitor internal temps. I had temporary amnesia and raised the smoke to 200 instead of 250 which is my usual sweet-spot. It went into the stall around midnight but no foiling was done at that time. The temps held steady at 200 until around 0930 when I notice the internal temp was up to 167. Feeling confident fell back asleep until noon.

Aargh! There was a cold snap and the smoker had dropped to 150 when I dragged my sorry ass out of bed. ::) Internal temp was 150! So I pulled it out of the smoker and realized my brisket was far from done. The next step was the Texas Crutch and the brisket was tightly foiled then placed back into the smoker. The temp was raised to 300 and the brisket hit an internal temp of 190 after about 4 hours. It was pulled from the smoker and wrapped in two towels and placed in an unlit oven. Three hours later it was back at 150.

Removed from foil and the brisket deemed ready the point was separated from the flat and set aside. I cut the point into large cubes about 1.5" and re-seasoned with some spices. Back into the smoker at 250 for 6 hours. During that time the "burnt ends" were stirred and some sauce added towards the end.

OMG burnt ends are something to behold- never had them this way before and have to say if you haven't tried this then you are missing something special!

That was one long cooking session at 36+ hours. :-\ I will do things differently next time... 8)

Now that's REAL barbecue.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1696 on: December 06, 2011, 03:39:26 pm »

Love that Texas BBQ!  8)
Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1697 on: December 07, 2011, 07:07:11 pm »
Went with my very first midnight smoke...
Pretty much everything I smoke except ribs goes on at midnight so it'll be ready for lunch.  I start ribs 5 hours before the meal.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1698 on: December 07, 2011, 08:51:59 pm »

Love that Texas BBQ!  8)

Here's some que-pron of the end result:

I was really scared that the flat would be dry after all of the abuse. But it wasn't. Tender but not crumbly and very unctuous. That's probably due to my choice in a "choice" packer. Look at that smoke-ring! Actually turning a nice purple in places and probably half an inch.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1699 on: December 07, 2011, 09:14:43 pm »
I just had a sudden hunger pain Euge, that looks so darn good..
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1700 on: December 07, 2011, 09:17:17 pm »
Nice smoke band!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1701 on: December 08, 2011, 05:54:47 am »
Yeah...that's some good lookin' brisket Euge.  8)
Ron Price

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #1702 on: December 08, 2011, 07:22:36 am »
I took out 3lbs of frozen vacuum packed brisket 2 nights ago to thaw (I smoked it back in Aug or Sept).  Chopped it up last night, put in a casserole dish with 1/2 a chopped onion, 1 chopped red pepper, 3 chopped tomatoes, some garlic, some worchestershire, a big bottle of fairly sweet imperial stout, and a dollop of minced smoked jalepenos in vinegar that I keep in my fridge.

Wife is putting it in the oven for me early this afternoon, the house should smell great when I get home.  I have some whole wheat rolls, chinese brocolli and spinach ready to go as sides.

(by the way, it is -30C with the windchill today, which makes coming home to a warm and hearty meal that much better).

And my "recipe" is loosely based on this - http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1703 on: December 08, 2011, 07:36:54 am »
I took out 3lbs of frozen vacuum packed brisket 2 nights ago to thaw (I smoked it back in Aug or Sept).  Chopped it up last night, put in a casserole dish with 1/2 a chopped onion, 1 chopped red pepper, 3 chopped tomatoes, some garlic, some worchestershire, a big bottle of fairly sweet imperial stout, and a dollop of minced smoked jalepenos in vinegar that I keep in my fridge.

Wife is putting it in the oven for me early this afternoon, the house should smell great when I get home.  I have some whole wheat rolls, chinese brocolli and spinach ready to go as sides.

(by the way, it is -30C with the windchill today, which makes coming home to a warm and hearty meal that much better).

And my "recipe" is loosely based on this - http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

Sounds really good...

...pretty darn cold up there...brrr
Ron Price

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1704 on: December 08, 2011, 07:39:45 am »

Smoked brisket does really well being frozen. We usually always keep some around for the occasional quick meal.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #1705 on: December 08, 2011, 08:16:22 am »
Smoked brisket does really well being frozen. We usually always keep some around for the occasional quick meal.

Agreed.  Whenever I run my UDS, I try to load it up, then vacuum seal and freeze in smaller portions.  Makes for quick meals, and the food keeps very well.  I typically do this with brisket, pork butt and steelhead trout.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1706 on: December 08, 2011, 10:25:41 am »
I took out 3lbs of frozen vacuum packed brisket 2 nights ago to thaw (I smoked it back in Aug or Sept).  Chopped it up last night, put in a casserole dish with 1/2 a chopped onion, 1 chopped red pepper, 3 chopped tomatoes, some garlic, some worchestershire, a big bottle of fairly sweet imperial stout, and a dollop of minced smoked jalepenos in vinegar that I keep in my fridge.

Wife is putting it in the oven for me early this afternoon, the house should smell great when I get home.  I have some whole wheat rolls, chinese brocolli and spinach ready to go as sides.

That sounds amazing.  I need to do this soon :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1707 on: December 08, 2011, 11:33:37 am »
Thanks for the comments guys. I need to try the ^^^^ approach. Folks at work would eat that up in no time.

If you are going to do BBQ and not eat it all, then a vacuum sealer is invaluable. I've pulled stuff out that's over a year old and it isn't freezer burned. My MO is to do the Q and then divide it up after it has chilled to vac- keeps juices in the meat. Vac seal while still hot and you're gonna pull juices out of the meat. :-\ This then gets distributed to the extended family. :)

I've found a simple 2" chuck roast takes as long as a brisket. But makes excellent shredded beef. Better than brisket IMO.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1708 on: December 08, 2011, 12:35:04 pm »
If you are going to do BBQ and not eat it all, then a vacuum sealer is invaluable.

+1

I use my Foodsaver to vacuum seal all my hops, cheeses and meats. Great way to preserve items for future consumption.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1709 on: December 10, 2011, 01:23:45 am »
Smoked some salmon in the UDS tonight - it's delicious :)  The fillets are from a ~7 lb Coho.  I have a few more fish in the freezer to practice with, both filleting and smoking.  I think I'm getting it down, but it's not as pretty as I'd like it to be.  The texture was great this time, not as dry as the last couple.

Tom Schmidlin