Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 458503 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1740 on: December 12, 2011, 02:00:15 pm »
I catch the grease from a brisket. There's so much of it that the smoker (BGE) develops a nasty fishy smell that can be imparted to the meat. I've not had this problem with other cuts/meats and like the additional oomph the fat gives to the smoke. Chicken especially. yum!

I can't explain why for the odd smell but the copious amount of brisket fat dripping on the low burning coals produces a greasy smoldering and has nearly ruined two briskets and rendered them only fit for chili.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #1741 on: December 12, 2011, 02:40:28 pm »
I catch the grease from a brisket. There's so much of it that the smoker (BGE) develops a nasty fishy smell that can be imparted to the meat. I've not had this problem with other cuts/meats and like the additional oomph the fat gives to the smoke. Chicken especially. yum!

I can't explain why for the odd smell but the copious amount of brisket fat dripping on the low burning coals produces a greasy smoldering and has nearly ruined two briskets and rendered them only fit for chili.

The BGE design is a unique one, your problem could be due to the high humidity inside there.  My buddy says the top vent on his gums right up with grease when doing butts or brisket on his egg, he's never mentioned any off flavours though, just complained about the cleanup.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1742 on: December 12, 2011, 02:58:00 pm »
Yeah mine is gummed up! Big time. I'd do a hot cook such as steaks to get rid of the smell. The funky smell was eradicated by the time the egg was hot enough for the steaks.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1743 on: December 12, 2011, 06:49:48 pm »
I'd also chime in on the charcoal argument.  I am on the side that says charcoal makes a big difference flavourwise,

I grabbed a WSM off craigslist to use up the charcoal I bought on sale this summer. Basically I have a little more than an F150 full of "K" to go through. What I noticed was a HUGE difference in smokiness. WSM, maybe too smokey - or maybe I don't like briquettes. The egg clone I have is awesome (lump only) - and the stick burner is super smokey, but different from the flavors I am getting from the WSM. No issues with K when I use the kettle - may just need more practice on the WSM. Also, the bradley (electric) gives good smoke flavor with the pucks but you can't crisp skin or char anything for a good crust.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1744 on: December 12, 2011, 07:36:15 pm »
I'd also chime in on the charcoal argument.  I am on the side that says charcoal makes a big difference flavourwise,

I grabbed a WSM off craigslist to use up the charcoal I bought on sale this summer. Basically I have a little more than an F150 full of "K" to go through. What I noticed was a HUGE difference in smokiness. WSM, maybe too smokey - or maybe I don't like briquettes. The egg clone I have is awesome (lump only) - and the stick burner is super smokey, but different from the flavors I am getting from the WSM. No issues with K when I use the kettle - may just need more practice on the WSM. Also, the bradley (electric) gives good smoke flavor with the pucks but you can't crisp skin or char anything for a good crust.

Nice review...

I think there are undoubtedly some fine nuances from smoker to smoker. The key here is "learn your equipment" and once you've mastered your equipment...you'll eventually "master the Q". The WSM is a tight unit that definitely has a learning curve to go along with it.

Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #1745 on: December 13, 2011, 07:31:14 am »
Ok...I'm a noob with this whole smoking thing.  I have a WSM that I've used twice this summer and the results were promising.  Now that it is colder, should I expect that the Weber won't maintain the heat so well?  Should I put it away until the spring time :( ?

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1746 on: December 13, 2011, 08:50:23 am »
Ok...I'm a noob with this whole smoking thing.  I have a WSM that I've used twice this summer and the results were promising.  Now that it is colder, should I expect that the Weber won't maintain the heat so well?  Should I put it away until the spring time :( ?

Use it!  You'll burn more charcoal to maintain the temp but the extra cost is minimal. 20 below might be pushing it though. Wind is your nemesis, and worse when it's cold. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #1747 on: December 13, 2011, 09:44:53 am »
I have cooked in -30C  on my UDS.  The humidity gets ridiculously low in SK when the temps drop like this, so I found that fuel consumption may have actually been better than during the summer.  I wouldn't worry so much about temp, as I would wind; need to have a wind break of some sort or only cook when it is calm.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1748 on: December 13, 2011, 10:18:57 am »

I use my WSM all year round. In the coldest of months I don't fill the water pan and try to do shorter/hotter smokes.

Ron Price

Offline zippythepin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #1749 on: December 13, 2011, 10:21:03 am »
here is a little lesson about what bbq REALLY is please enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY&feature=colike

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1750 on: December 13, 2011, 10:24:14 am »
here is a little lesson about what bbq REALLY is please enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY&feature=colike

I think that video is buried in this thread somewhere. Thanks for posting it again...it's a goodie.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1751 on: December 13, 2011, 10:55:31 am »
Ok...I'm a noob with this whole smoking thing.  I have a WSM that I've used twice this summer and the results were promising.  Now that it is colder, should I expect that the Weber won't maintain the heat so well?  Should I put it away until the spring time :( ?
Definitely use it.  It just might not work exactly the same way it does in warmer weather, but as long as you know that it'll be fine.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #1752 on: December 13, 2011, 12:39:34 pm »
Thanks for the info...that's good to know I don't have to lock it up for the next 4 months.

Now, what type of BBQ to do:  NC, Tenn, Georgia, Louisiana...anything but Florida.

I think I have to go along with the NC folks!!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1753 on: December 13, 2011, 12:43:04 pm »
Thanks for the info...that's good to know I don't have to lock it up for the next 4 months.

Now, what type of BBQ to do:  NC, Tenn, Georgia, Louisiana...anything but Florida.

I think I have to go along with the NC folks!!

The choice is yours. A good short smoke (3-4hrs) is a couple rack of ribs or a brisket (flat).

Here's a nice plan.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib3.html
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1754 on: December 13, 2011, 12:47:01 pm »
And you could get a BBQ Guru to help keep your temps spot-on!