Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 458483 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1830 on: January 20, 2012, 01:27:22 am »
I did my first spatchcock yardbird today and it turned out excellent, but I have a couple of questions for you spatchcock veterans.
First how do you make it lay flat, and second what can I do to keep the legs from falling off as the bird is getting fully cooked..  BTW I really loved my apple rauchbier with some apple smoked bird.

You gotta press down on the breast until the sternum or keel (so to speak) cracks. Often I'll score the underside so it (the bone) splits easily. I also like to cut the wishbone out. Youtube that.

When you trim the backbone out take care to leave the flank muscle between the breast and thigh intact. Yes the leg quarters flop a bit but that'll tighten up when it cooks. I use shears and cut closely up from the tail up all along the spine.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1831 on: January 20, 2012, 05:24:15 am »
In addition to what euge stated about cracking the breast use a brick wrapped in aluminum foil to weigh down the bird. Check out this video of Steve R. and another video of a really great brining and seasoning recipe.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/morning_news/in_the_kitchen/steven-raichlen-planet-barbecue-june-9-2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XChoex5GP2s
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1832 on: January 20, 2012, 04:04:44 pm »
I take the keel bone out entirely - don't you guys?  It lays flat easily.

I've never had a problem with the legs falling off - I guess the skin keeps them in place :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1833 on: January 20, 2012, 04:08:15 pm »
I'll trim the ribs off leaving muscle and skin but too lazy to cut out the keel bone.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1834 on: January 20, 2012, 04:14:24 pm »
The keel bone is easy, it pulls right out.  It sounds to me like you're doing more work with the ribs!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1835 on: January 20, 2012, 04:21:29 pm »
I'll give it another shot! Naw the ribs are easy because they've been separated from the spine already. I just trim them away.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1836 on: January 20, 2012, 04:48:28 pm »
I'll have to think about the ribs . . .

For the keel bone, check out this video, starting about 1:15 in.  This is what I watched to learn how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGKLtbiUflk
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1837 on: January 21, 2012, 10:07:49 pm »

I've never had a problem with the legs falling off - I guess the skin keeps them in place :)

I have taken it out in the past but I don't think it's really necessary. I have good results without removing it. It's a personal choice. If removing it makes for better results then I would opt to remove it.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1838 on: January 21, 2012, 10:48:46 pm »
Argentine BBQ - wood grilling by Steve Raichlen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Mb1nU5q64&feature=related
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1839 on: January 21, 2012, 11:19:39 pm »

I have taken it out in the past but I don't think it's really necessary. I have good results without removing it. It's a personal choice. If removing it makes for better results then I would opt to remove it.
I'm not saying it's better, it's just part of the process to me.  I've never spatchcocked a bird without taking it out.  Whatever works though, right?

Now I crave smoked chicken.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #1840 on: January 22, 2012, 05:32:42 pm »
I hadn't ever spatchcocked a chicken before but inspired by you fine folks I decided to go for it tonight.  I did remove the keel bone and halved it as well once it was spatchcocked.

Did garlic butter under the skin and my standard rub.

Smoked it for an hour with cherry wood.  It was easy and delicious.  I'll definitely be doing that again.

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1841 on: January 22, 2012, 05:36:08 pm »
Very nice tygo! Now I want chicken. ;D

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1842 on: January 22, 2012, 07:22:51 pm »
Nice work tygo!

If I was going to remove the keel bone, I would half it like you did. I might try one next weekend. Spatchcocked chicken is a real treat.  :)

I plan to brine the chicken before grilling/smoking for that extra flavor kick.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1843 on: February 02, 2012, 12:45:15 pm »
nice bird.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline euge

• I must live here
Re: Hybrid Beef Chuck Shoulder Roast
« Reply #1844 on: February 18, 2012, 11:32:33 am »
Hybrid Beef Chuck Shoulder Roast 2.5 lbs:

Salted, peppered, tied and in the smoker for 2 hours @225. Then in the pan on a raft of carrots plus onion and Golden potatoes. Liquid is 1/2 cup cabernet and 1/2 cup vegetable stock and 1 tsp garlic. Add a bit of salt and sugar. Goes into oven, covered @325 for 3 hours or until tender to a probe. Rest in oven for 1+ hours.

Remove constituent parts and reduce liquid with a goodly pinch of basil- I added a bit of flour water to add body.

Keep fingers off meat. Wrap, chill and slice next day. Serve with root vegetables and mustard green from the garden.

Into the oven!

Nice roasted beef flavor with a hint of the smoker. Tender and moist with part of the moisture and fat left in the smoker.