Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 458519 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1875 on: February 23, 2012, 09:52:07 am »
We had a talk about them on another thread (it's probably somewhere in the sausage thread) - the basic advice was that the grinder is fine if you are not doing a lot of sausage at once.  I did it with ~5 lbs and it was great.  The stuffer is apparently somewhat inconvenient because it is elevated so there is no easy place to put the links as they come out, but I don't have it and I haven't used it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1876 on: February 23, 2012, 09:59:48 am »
I'll probably go the KA route. Why not place the mixer on a couple buckets, boxes or chair so that the stuffer is at a practical level to the counter or table?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1877 on: February 23, 2012, 10:00:02 am »
I don't have the KA meat grinder attachment but want one. I use a hand grinder handed down by my grandmother that works okay.

I hope to pick up a KA grinder attachment this year sometime.

I think Tom's assessment of the KA grinder attachment is right as I remember it from the Sausage thread.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=4020.0
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1878 on: February 23, 2012, 10:03:54 am »
I'll probably go the KA route. Why not place the mixer on a couple buckets, boxes or chair so that the stuffer is at a practical level to the counter or table?
Good question ;D

I think by the time start complaining about the height of the stuffer they are doing more than 5 lbs at a shot and really need a better stuffer anyway.  I'm happy with our loose sausage though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #1879 on: February 23, 2012, 10:53:46 am »
Cool, thanks guys. I'll read the sausage thread and make my decision. I'll post anything in there from now on. Continue on... :)
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1880 on: February 23, 2012, 10:57:56 am »
Cool, thanks guys. I'll read the sausage thread and make my decision. I'll post anything in there from now on. Continue on... :)

You are welcome to post anything related to BBQ here...including sausage.

I love smoked (BBQ) sausage.  :)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1881 on: February 23, 2012, 11:08:35 am »
I smoked some store-bought Italian sausages a couple of times last summer, they were awesome! ;D

They tasted completely different from the non-smoked versions, which are still good, but not at all the same.  Smoking them had a big impact.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #1882 on: February 23, 2012, 02:24:53 pm »
BBQ and smoking is so intriguing. however as a vegetarian I can't justify buyng a smoker or anything unless...

What are some non-meat things y'all bbq or smoke?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #1883 on: February 23, 2012, 02:27:01 pm »
BBQ and smoking is so intriguing. however as a vegetarian I can't justify buyng a smoker or anything unless...

I've smoked tofu before. It was pretty tasty. I like to "brine" or soak the tofu in soy sauce or some other salty solution for 30 minutes or an hour then throw it in the weber to smoke at 250 for an hour or 2. Get's nice a firm and tastes great.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #1884 on: February 23, 2012, 02:35:06 pm »

I've smoked tofu before. It was pretty tasty. I like to "brine" or soak the tofu in soy sauce or some other salty solution for 30 minutes or an hour then throw it in the weber to smoke at 250 for an hour or 2. Get's nice a firm and tastes great.

good call, I love smoked tofu coated with chopped pistachios and grilled briefly. sliced on salad with olives and egg salda nicouce.. nicoise... whatever, you get the idea. damn french (the language not the country).
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #1885 on: February 23, 2012, 02:47:38 pm »
I smoked some garlic last summer and it was very tasty.  Cut the top off, then rubbed w/ olive oil and left in smoker for about an hour.  I then wrapped them in foil and finished off for another hour. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1886 on: February 23, 2012, 03:22:28 pm »
I cook a lot of different veggies on the grill.  I keep herbed olive oil on hand for grilling squash, bell peppers, aparagus, pretty much anything I want.  The olive oil gives it a great basil/oregano/thyme flavor and keeps the veggies moist. I bake sweet potatoes in my smoker pretty often, but usually with a pork roast on the side.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1887 on: February 23, 2012, 03:33:36 pm »
I smoke cheese, and I've smoked onions and peppers.  Yum.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1888 on: February 23, 2012, 05:00:42 pm »
One of my favorite recipes is a Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger.  8)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/portobello-mushroom-burgers/

When my garden starts producing, I am constantly grilling peppers, onions, squash, zuchini, etc...
Just EVOO, salt, pepper and crushed garlic. It's fantastic!
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1889 on: February 23, 2012, 05:49:37 pm »
You guys have been talking up sausage here and have gotten me very interested. What do you guys think of the Kitchen Aid meat grinder and sausage stuffer accessories? I already have the mixer and could probably get the two accessories for around 80 bucks or less.

Or would it be worthwhile to invest in a separate meat grinder and sausage stuffer?

Absolutely worth it if you have the mixer already.  I do 10# of pork butt andouille at a time - easy, speasy, 1, 2, threezy.   I would do more, but (butt) 10# is all my smoker will hold.

There is a guy on this forum who (I suspect) works for Hamilton Beach, and talks down Kitchenaid mixers all of the time.  Pay no attention.  Mine has given 14+ years of good hard service and shows no signs of slowing down.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907