Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462388 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1905 on: February 24, 2012, 09:35:46 am »
My beef comes from my parent's cattle.

My pork comes from my parent's neighbors pigs.

My lamb comes from another of my parent's neighbors.

All my other meat comes from the animal(s) I harvest in hunting season.  Elk and antelope mostly.

That's my choice, but I feel it's the best, healthiest meat.  I have the great fortune of being able to eat this kind of quality meat.  Others are not as fortunate, which is unfortunate. 

I think I'll smoke some ribs on sunday.  Maybe I'll remember to take a picture so I can actually contribute to the drooling associated with this thread.

I'm fortunate as well, as my wife's family owns a farm in NE Iowa.  We get all of our beef and pork (including the best brats in the world!) from the in laws.  Not only is it great that we get pure meat from a known source, but we also save a lot of $$$$.  I don't hunt, but have many friends and family that do, so we get plenty of elk and deer from them.  I do miss getting fresh-from-the-boat fish and shrimp from when I was living on the Gulf Coast.  One of my goals this year is to start making my own sausage and take advantage of some of the "family" pork we get.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1906 on: February 24, 2012, 10:34:11 am »
My beef comes from my parent's cattle.

My pork comes from my parent's neighbors pigs.

My lamb comes from another of my parent's neighbors.

All my other meat comes from the animal(s) I harvest in hunting season.  Elk and antelope mostly.

That's my choice, but I feel it's the best, healthiest meat.  I have the great fortune of being able to eat this kind of quality meat.  Others are not as fortunate, which is unfortunate. 

I think I'll smoke some ribs on sunday.  Maybe I'll remember to take a picture so I can actually contribute to the drooling associated with this thread.

...and I'm just plain jealous now.  ::)  8)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1907 on: February 24, 2012, 11:53:05 am »
If your going to eat it you should be willing and able to kill it in my mind.
I kind of understand your sentiment, but when you really look at it it is hard to justify.  I'm willing to do it, but what about someone who is too squeamish - not allowed to eat meat?  And what do you mean by "able".  Time?  Knowledge and expertise?  What do I do, approach a farmer and say "can I kill one of your pigs?"  And what would I do with a full butchered pig?  If you're going to use a knife for the butchering, do you need to be willing and able to forge one?

If you're going to use a web forum, you should be willing and able to program one. ;)

...and I'm just plain jealous now.  ::)  8)
You and me both.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #1908 on: February 24, 2012, 12:18:14 pm »
If your going to eat it you should be willing and able to kill it in my mind.
I kind of understand your sentiment, but when you really look at it it is hard to justify.  I'm willing to do it, but what about someone who is too squeamish - not allowed to eat meat?  And what do you mean by "able".  Time?  Knowledge and expertise?  What do I do, approach a farmer and say "can I kill one of your pigs?"  And what would I do with a full butchered pig?  If you're going to use a knife for the butchering, do you need to be willing and able to forge one?

If you're going to use a web forum, you should be willing and able to program one. ;)

A web forum or knife is not a living feeling being (I think) It does not give up it's conciousness for your use and in fact is not consumed (Granted this is arguable with the knife as it is slightly consumed). Yeah I think that at least once in your life, if you are going to eat pigs you should approach a farmer or a friend who raises them, and ask if you can kill one.

Able... well I suppose physically unable folks might get a pass as long as a true willingness exists. But it's hard to say 'I am willing to kill this animal' and really mean it if you are never presented with the opportunity. Doesn't have to be a pig, could be a chicken. even catching a fish is good. It's the awareness that this being is alive and vital and because of your choices and actions it will no longer be that. If you buy a piece of cow in a styrofoam container you have still caused it's death but you have not experienced that death in a real way.

If you are too squeamish to kill an animal then maybe you should reexamine your feelings about eating them. That is actually my point. I think that alot of folks who eat meat would not if they had to kill an animal themselves. The idea that it is moral to eat and animal but not to kill one is strange.

Anyway, it's not about 'allowed' and 'not allowed' I am not (yet) the king of the world so y'all can do what you like. It's more a philosophical stance.

and just to head off one argument, I am aware that the plants I cut out of my garden are vital beings and try very hard to keep that awareness with me as I pick, cook and eat them. I even think about it when pulling weeds and certainly when picking slugs off my tomatoes and squishing them.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1909 on: February 24, 2012, 12:26:13 pm »
Able... well I suppose physically unable folks might get a pass as long as a true willingness exists. But it's hard to say 'I am willing to kill this animal' and really mean it if you are never presented with the opportunity. Doesn't have to be a pig, could be a chicken. even catching a fish is good. It's the awareness that this being is alive and vital and because of your choices and actions it will no longer be that. If you buy a piece of cow in a styrofoam container you have still caused it's death but you have not experienced that death in a real way.

If you are too squeamish to kill an animal then maybe you should reexamine your feelings about eating them. That is actually my point. I think that alot of folks who eat meat would not if they had to kill an animal themselves. The idea that it is moral to eat and animal but not to kill one is strange.
Like I said, I understand the sentiment.  I just think it is an unrealistic expectation. Plus I think you can have the awareness and appreciation that you are eating something that was once alive without actually having to kill it yourself.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1910 on: February 24, 2012, 12:30:40 pm »
Maybe we can mosey on over to the vegetarian thread and discuss the merits of growing and cutting your own smoking wood.   :o
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #1911 on: February 24, 2012, 04:34:01 pm »
I think it sometimes depends on your early exposure.

As far back as I can remember we slaughtered 2 or 3 hogs every year and at least one cow and a chicken in the yard didn't stand a chance on Sundays. Squirrels, rabbits, deer, quail, doves & assorted fish out of local ponds supplemented that. Just a natural part of living for me.

My step-daughter, on the other hand, was about 8 when me and her mother started dating and in an attempt to dazzle my soon to be family I bought a whole chicken to smoke. She freaked out when I plopped it on the kitchen counter. She had never seen a dead chicken. Her only association with chicken was "nuggets" and didn't realize they were animal parts (if you call them that). Don't get me started about having to explain how vegatables got into a can. I blame her mother for all of this.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1912 on: February 24, 2012, 07:43:58 pm »
The philosophical viewpoints of hunting, farming and/or slaughtering pigs, cows, chickens, etc.., then cooking and eating them are wide and varied. We could debate this topic until the cows come home (no pun intended), but what's the point. This is a BBQ thread and that won't change, so it's a mute point IMO.

One could opt to start another thread as long as it doesn't get into political or religious beliefs.  :)

Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #1913 on: February 24, 2012, 08:00:13 pm »
This is a BBQ thread and that won't change, so it's a mute point IMO.

One could opt to start another thread as long as it doesn't get into political or religious beliefs.  :)

Or we could start a thread on the importance of spelling.....  oh wait :)
Joe

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #1914 on: February 24, 2012, 08:05:43 pm »
Burp.   :o  Pardon me for inappropriate blather in the BBQ thread.

I like to raise animals, but am not very good at killing anymore.

I do have a brisket in the freezer, guess I will read up on what to do with that.
Can you do anything with Jerusalem artichokes?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:31:34 pm by pinnah »

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #1915 on: February 24, 2012, 09:45:45 pm »

I can, have, and will again, I'm sure, kill animals for food.  I don't think morality has anything to do with it.  We're omnivores by nature and I don't think we should feel guilty about it.

Should people be more aware of where their food is coming from?  Yes, they should.  But we don't live in a hunter-gatherer society where everyone can meet their needs themselves.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1916 on: February 24, 2012, 10:01:55 pm »
You guys'll love this:

Homemade chicken plucker

schrader valves with the stems removed...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1917 on: February 24, 2012, 10:42:06 pm »
You guys'll love this:

Homemade chicken plucker

schrader valves with the stems removed...
Amazing.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1918 on: February 24, 2012, 10:54:31 pm »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #1919 on: February 25, 2012, 12:18:11 am »
sorry didn't really mean to hijack the thread. Was just admiring Boulder for his hands on attitude towards food production.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce