Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462592 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1920 on: February 25, 2012, 12:21:57 am »
sorry didn't really mean to hijack the thread. Was just admiring Boulder for his hands on attitude towards food production.

Ask him how much it costs to raise chickens and turkeys. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #1921 on: February 25, 2012, 12:22:46 am »
sorry didn't really mean to hijack the thread. Was just admiring Boulder for his hands on attitude towards food production.

hey boulder how much did it cost to raise chickens and turkeys?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1922 on: February 25, 2012, 12:51:09 am »

hey boulder how much did it cost to raise chickens and turkeys?
Nothing to apologize for, we're just talking :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1923 on: February 25, 2012, 06:32:54 am »

No worries.

Please join us for more vegetarian BBQ discussion.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1924 on: February 25, 2012, 06:34:26 am »
You guys'll love this:

Homemade chicken plucker

schrader valves with the stems removed...

That is one fancy plucker there.  :)
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1925 on: February 26, 2012, 05:07:17 pm »
bought some very nice boiled shrimp at the seafood market as well as a couple tuna steaks.  made some homemade mayo and whipped up a couple seafood dishes and then cooked some fajitas....

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1926 on: February 26, 2012, 07:54:30 pm »
It's about time for a DS fix!  ;) 

Awesome man!  8)
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1927 on: February 26, 2012, 08:58:39 pm »

Mmmmmmmm, flank steak!  I'm not much of a beefeater, but I do loves me some flank steak!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1928 on: February 26, 2012, 10:04:32 pm »
A hundred broilers will take 1 50# bag on week one and 2 week two and 3 week three, so 41 bags when they reach 8 weeks, so at 8 weeks you got $575 in feed and say $100 in the purchase of the chicks. so 675 for 100 birds that is like 6.75 per 5# bird.

Turkeys are similar, they have better feed conversion and they can fetch a better price if you sell them.

As a veg I'd be warry of any sobean product, the most GMO plant. Hello tofu.

I would say know what you are eating and how it was raised/grown. Be informed about your food, most people investigate thier next car than they do the food they feed thier kids. OK off soap box till later.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1929 on: February 26, 2012, 10:16:43 pm »
Able... well I suppose physically unable folks might get a pass as long as a true willingness exists. But it's hard to say 'I am willing to kill this animal' and really mean it if you are never presented with the opportunity. Doesn't have to be a pig, could be a chicken. even catching a fish is good. It's the awareness that this being is alive and vital and because of your choices and actions it will no longer be that. If you buy a piece of cow in a styrofoam container you have still caused it's death but you have not experienced that death in a real way.

If you are too squeamish to kill an animal then maybe you should reexamine your feelings about eating them. That is actually my point. I think that alot of folks who eat meat would not if they had to kill an animal themselves. The idea that it is moral to eat and animal but not to kill one is strange.
Like I said, I understand the sentiment.  I just think it is an unrealistic expectation. Plus I think you can have the awareness and appreciation that you are eating something that was once alive without actually having to kill it yourself.

I don't understand this, I quit eating meat because I could not accept killing for my food. Yet many calves are killed so I can have my milk. Yes this makes no sense. I do not buy people buying the celophane/styrofoam meat from Wal Mart and not wanting people to hunt. OK isolated incident but that is how my exboss's wife feels. I like her idea because that crap will kill you sooner than later. etc..

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #1930 on: February 26, 2012, 10:18:40 pm »
A hundred broilers will take 1 50# bag on week one and 2 week two and 3 week three, so 41 bags when they reach 8 weeks, so at 8 weeks you got $575 in feed and say $100 in the purchase of the chicks. so 675 for 100 birds that is like 6.75 per 5# bird.

Turkeys are similar, they have better feed conversion and they can fetch a better price if you sell them.

As a veg I'd be warry of any sobean product, the most GMO plant. Hello tofu.

I would say know what you are eating and how it was raised/grown. Be informed about your food, most people investigate thier next car than they do the food they feed thier kids. OK off soap box till later.

no GMO soy for me thanks. I tend to go with simple non- processed plant proteins but when I do eat tofu it's organic.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1931 on: February 26, 2012, 10:26:38 pm »
Able... well I suppose physically unable folks might get a pass as long as a true willingness exists. But it's hard to say 'I am willing to kill this animal' and really mean it if you are never presented with the opportunity. Doesn't have to be a pig, could be a chicken. even catching a fish is good. It's the awareness that this being is alive and vital and because of your choices and actions it will no longer be that. If you buy a piece of cow in a styrofoam container you have still caused it's death but you have not experienced that death in a real way.

If you are too squeamish to kill an animal then maybe you should reexamine your feelings about eating them. That is actually my point. I think that alot of folks who eat meat would not if they had to kill an animal themselves. The idea that it is moral to eat and animal but not to kill one is strange.
Like I said, I understand the sentiment.  I just think it is an unrealistic expectation. Plus I think you can have the awareness and appreciation that you are eating something that was once alive without actually having to kill it yourself.

I don't understand this, I quit eating meat because I could not accept killing for my food. Yet many calves are killed so I can have my milk. Yes this makes no sense. I do not buy people buying the celophane/styrofoam meat from Wal Mart and not wanting people to hunt. OK isolated incident but that is how my exboss's wife feels. I like her idea because that crap will kill you sooner than later. etc..

I agree, it seems weird to be pro meat and anti-hunting.  I don't hunt, mostly because it is not fun for me.  I was always too cold and bored, and I don't like getting up early.  But that's me, if you're into it go for it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1932 on: February 26, 2012, 10:31:38 pm »
Good for ya! I worry about the frozen veggies we buy, hard to get things to grown in 2 ft of snow. We are on http://tinychat.com/roffenburger if you want to chat and can chat

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1933 on: February 26, 2012, 10:33:35 pm »

I agree, it seems weird to be pro meat and anti-hunting.  I don't hunt, mostly because it is not fun for me.  I was always too cold and bored, and I don't like getting up early.  But that's me, if you're into it go for it.

That is why I don't hunt anymore and the wolves have killed most deer. Don't want to hunt grouse cause we have quail, chickens and turkey.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1934 on: February 26, 2012, 10:51:13 pm »

Mmmmmmmm, flank steak!  I'm not much of a beefeater, but I do loves me some flank steak!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907