Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 459472 times)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1935 on: February 26, 2012, 10:59:38 pm »
On a egg! Thanks DS!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1936 on: February 26, 2012, 11:45:53 pm »
What can I say? Looks awesome as always. What was the marinade for the flank steak?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1937 on: February 27, 2012, 01:42:33 am »
I'm on a roll lately! Bought some pork belly and it's in the fridge curing now... BACON!

It came with the skin on. The lady asked if I wanted the skin off and I said yes, and then remembered to ask her to not throw it out. So now I also have... HOMEMADE PORK RINDS.

Ancho and Lime flavor :-)

In other news... I almost wept yesterday. On my way to the hardware store to pick up a few 'necessities' I saw a new shop across the street. "Barbecue & Co." "What could this be, another crappy weber outlet?" I asked myself. But no! No! They have DRUM SMOKERS. They have enormous bags of LUMP charcoal, they have seven different kinds of smoking wood! They have 30 different American-made bbq and hot sauces, and they even have Napa valley wine! It's heaven. Really. I mean... I tried to explain the feeling of joy that I had in finding this shop to my wife and I think she got the idea. But it wasn't just the shop, the guys working the counter were really great, and asked for my details so they could get in touch with me about perhaps organizing a homebrew section for their shop.

So cool. http://www.barbecue-co.com/
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1938 on: February 27, 2012, 01:45:36 am »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1939 on: February 27, 2012, 07:35:31 am »
I'm on a roll lately! Bought some pork belly and it's in the fridge curing now... BACON!

What's your curing process for the pork belly?

BTW...Nice BBQ find.  8)
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1940 on: February 27, 2012, 07:45:55 am »
I bought a cure mix (bay, salt, sugar, e250, e251, other spices) from an online store in the UK. Basic treatment is: dredge in cure, vacuum seal, put in fridge for ~1 week until firm, smoke with apple wood chips at 180f until internal temp reaches 150, remove, slice, vacuum seal and freeze. That's the plan anyway, never done this before.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #1941 on: February 27, 2012, 09:05:33 am »
You guys'll love this:

Homemade chicken plucker

schrader valves with the stems removed...

That's what we use on the farm.  Works like a charm.  It gets passed around from farmer to farmer for use.  Everyone pitches in to keep it fixed up and in good shape.

Didn't get around to smoking this weekend after all...  good lookin stuff guys!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1942 on: February 27, 2012, 11:44:44 am »
Didn't get around to smoking this weekend after all...  good lookin stuff guys!

Hey that's great you can quit when you want too!   ::)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #1943 on: February 27, 2012, 02:30:46 pm »
I threw together a marinade out of what i had around last Thursday.  Basically .5 cup of soy sauce, 2 teaspoons seasoned salt, a few shakes of black pepper, the leaves of 6 or 7 pieces of fresh parsley and couple of glugs of sesame oil.  There may have been some red pepper but I wasn't really keeping track because I was in a hurry.

I put it in a bag with 3.5lbs of fresh salmon for 24 (or so) hours and then hot smoked with mesquite chips until the fish was flaky (I turned after about 10 minutes and then cooked for about 10 minutes longer).  All indirect heat.

It was amazing the difference the smoke made.  Wow!!!  I wouldn't have tried something like that without all the examples form you guys over the years.

Thanks!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1944 on: February 27, 2012, 04:11:18 pm »
I threw together a marinade out of what i had around last Thursday.  Basically .5 cup of soy sauce, 2 teaspoons seasoned salt, a few shakes of black pepper, the leaves of 6 or 7 pieces of fresh parsley and couple of glugs of sesame oil.  There may have been some red pepper but I wasn't really keeping track because I was in a hurry.

I put it in a bag with 3.5lbs of fresh salmon for 24 (or so) hours and then hot smoked with mesquite chips until the fish was flaky (I turned after about 10 minutes and then cooked for about 10 minutes longer).  All indirect heat.

It was amazing the difference the smoke made.  Wow!!!  I wouldn't have tried something like that without all the examples form you guys over the years.

Thanks!

Paul

Awesome Paul!  8)

...post some pics if you have any.
Ron Price

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #1945 on: February 28, 2012, 02:26:19 pm »

Thanks!

Paul

Awesome Paul!  8)

No pictures to post.  My 4 hungry kids and my wife wiped out all the vittles pretty quick. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1946 on: February 28, 2012, 05:04:55 pm »

Thanks!

Paul

Awesome Paul!  8)

No pictures to post.  My 4 hungry kids and my wife wiped out all the vittles pretty quick. 

Paul

Hopefully on the next round we'll get to see some pics.  ;)

We love pics of mouth watering BBQ.  8)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1947 on: February 29, 2012, 12:25:44 pm »
Bah, I just heard back from Weber on a replacement lid for a 22.5" - they want $50-$60 including shipping, when the whole grill is only $100 locally.  Hard to decide - do I get the whole thing and have another grill, or do I just buy the lid?

In the meantime I'm trying to find a used one that is in decent shape.  I want it for my UDS, so I can do two layers of salmon at once.  I might be able to smoke 3 salmon at once that way, more than 2 for sure.  The problem I'm having with the salmon is that I smoke at such a low temp (starts at 120F) that I get condensation on the lid that drips back onto the food and doesn't look or taste that great.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1948 on: February 29, 2012, 12:42:35 pm »
Tom...Keep your eyes on Craigslist.

Get on this one quick!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/2871365178.html
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:45:40 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline bluesman