Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 459402 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2010, 10:05:20 am »
I usually make basmati rice with just a bit of lemon juice and salt.  However, the relative blandness is fine because everything else I usually pair it with is so heavily spiced and flavored.

But pairing rice with BBQ....paella on the grill is one of my recent favorites.  I need a proper paella pan.  I like it with chicken, red or green peppers, onions, garlic, sun dried or diced tomatoes, chilies, mushrooms, and lots of spices (paprika, oregano, cumin).  I was using short grain sushi rice for it, because my wife hates sticky rice by itself (I have discovered!).  Now I'll have to find a cheap alternative in one of the local ethnic shops, as I'm not about to pay out the nose for some spanish "bomba" rice via mail order.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2010, 10:32:33 am »
I usually make basmati rice with just a bit of lemon juice and salt.  However, the relative blandness is fine because everything else I usually pair it with is so heavily spiced and flavored.

But pairing rice with BBQ....paella on the grill is one of my recent favorites.  I need a proper paella pan.  I like it with chicken, red or green peppers, onions, garlic, sun dried or diced tomatoes, chilies, mushrooms, and lots of spices (paprika, oregano, cumin).  I was using short grain sushi rice for it, because my wife hates sticky rice by itself (I have discovered!).  Now I'll have to find a cheap alternative in one of the local ethnic shops, as I'm not about to pay out the nose for some spanish "bomba" rice via mail order.

My wife is a big basmati rice fan so I prepare it most of the time.  I am always tweaking my rice recipes with the herbs and spices.  It's amazing to me how a few spices can really wake up a plate of good basmati rice.
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2010, 04:42:28 pm »
I have seen these "real" Turkish/greek kebab spears. They were about 16" long and they were made of a shape that is like a 1/4"  'v' in cross section. Then it was sharpened to a point sorta like a tent stake. They had a wood or some kind of plastic handle. Then they sat into a long 14" rectangular grill that had groves on either side to hold the kebab in place.

Thats what I want to get. The larger slow roasted lamb or solvaki type kebabs.

I want to make one of those big gyro rotisserie type skewers too. So I can make Doner kebabs over the fire.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2010, 07:13:24 pm »
I want to make one of those big gyro rotisserie type skewers too. So I can make Doner kebabs over the fire.

Or tacos al pastor!  Just stick a pineapple on top of the pork!

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2010, 08:14:36 pm »
So I can make Doner kebabs over the fire.

It's just greek meatloaf on a stick. :) This years state fair had 60 different food items on a stick.
Like deep fried mac and cheese.... ON A STICK!

The moral majority, is neither.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2010, 08:31:43 pm »
Its not just meat loaf.Not like that gyro sausage.

Its layer upon layer,of wonderful whole meat.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:33:31 pm by capozzoli »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2010, 01:50:40 am »
I aways thought it was a pressed meat product like spam but the meat gets carefully layered up on that skewer. Saw it being made on the Istanbul episode of No Reservations(I think). Really a gigantic kabob. Sadly, I'm more likely to get Al Pastor here. I can get a decent gyro but all the way across the city. Hell of a drive.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2010, 03:35:46 pm »
My doner kebab whould be the same but smaller. Layered chicken thighs 4" in dia, or lamb hammered out the same.

Now Im thinking of making a spit basket for small splayed pigs and turkeys instead of the Argentina way. I was thinking I could put a motor on it. But I am wondering how important it is for it to continually turn. Only really needs to be turned every now and again right?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2010, 05:04:03 pm »
I think slow revolutions would work well.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2010, 07:21:51 pm »
My doner kebab whould be the same but smaller. Layered chicken thighs 4" in dia, or lamb hammered out the same.

Now Im thinking of making a spit basket for small splayed pigs and turkeys instead of the Argentina way. I was thinking I could put a motor on it. But I am wondering how important it is for it to continually turn. Only really needs to be turned every now and again right?

Man, you're all over the place with your bbq ideas. Why they gotta be splayed, you just like the look? The continuous turning gets you a different flavor because you are heating and cooling the meat continually - it's like a self basting/caramelizing action that causes a different taste/texture - At least on the outside.

How wide is your grill - could you just tack on some supports on the sides or from corner to corner for your spit? I'm sure you needed a tax deductible 1/16hp high torque low rpm dayton motor for the welding business anyway,  ;)

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2010, 07:42:22 pm »
The grill is 3' x 4' plenty of room for a spit. Yes I am going to go tack happy on it.

The best part about splaying the pig or other is that when done properly it is just two or three inches thick at its thickest point. The cooking time is cut in half or more.

Im not convinced that the rotisserie does much at all. If you coal roast a pig skin side up for most of the time the juices and fat will baste down through the meat as it cooks then turn it over for the last third to crisp the skin.

Those rotisserie make the pig twist up and fall apart anyways. Though it would look cool.

But the rotisserie would work great for giant kebabs. My thinking here is for parties. Lots of yield easy to cook.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 07:48:30 pm by capozzoli »

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2010, 08:02:16 pm »
The grill is 3' x 4' plenty of room for a spit. Yes I am going to go tack happy on it.

The best part about splaying the pig or other is that when done properly it is just two or three inches thick at its thickest point. The cooking time is cut in half or more.

Im not convinced that the rotisserie does much at all. If you coal roast a pig skin side up for most of the time the juices and fat will baste down through the meat as it cooks then turn it over for the last third to crisp the skin.

Those rotisserie make the pig twist up and fall apart anyways. Though it would look cool.

But the rotisserie would work great for giant kebabs. My thinking here is for parties. Lots of yield easy to cook.

You ever have a hot dog off one of those carousels vs just sit under a heat lamp or in a steamer? I'm telling you the cool/heat cycles make even the hot dog something to desire. If you have large spit forks at both ends there's no twist. If you don't want to do it that's fine - but you don't have to make stuff up.  ;)

That would look awesome, alternate whole hams, briskets, and chickens like a huge Flintstones kabob.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2010, 09:15:53 pm »
How about a thin gauge cage to enclose the pig/meat on the spit to hold it all together as it rotates? ???

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2010, 09:31:35 pm »
Thats called a spit cage. Im thinking the same thing except that it might be fine to have it just lay on top of the grill then a couple of people need to put the gloves on to turn it every now and then.

But maybe it is better turned,beerocd has a lot more experience with pigs than me.

Just found out my friend who lived in Argentina is gonna give me a couple of crosses.

Didnt get a duck or chicken for this weekend but its on deck. Gonna do the thanks giving turkey on the grill this year too.

Wonder how long it would take to get a kettle to boil on the grill?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 09:38:47 pm by capozzoli »

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2010, 10:43:18 pm »
Thats called a spit cage. Im thinking the same thing except that it might be fine to have it just lay on top of the grill then a couple of people need to put the gloves on to turn it every now and then.

But maybe it is better turned,beerocd has a lot more experience with pigs than me.

Just found out my friend who lived in Argentina is gonna give me a couple of crosses.

Every way has it's own distinct advantages and slightly different flavors. The spit needs to be babysat the whole time. You sit around drink slivo and tend the fire. Another way is to put it on the grill of a drum smoker, with a heat diffuser plate under the pig, as in the pic above . No rotation, no motor, enclosed cooking keeps in the smoke and cooks faster. The la caja box cooks a great moist pig with absolutely no smoke flavor. I've eaten at the Brazilian bbq places and their stuff is great too.  You are willing to go the extra mile for an authentic meal. Probably a top one percenter in that category.

These guys got some neat flipping ideas - take a look, but I think your current grill is too low to the ground to incorporate this idea.
http://www.smokymtbarbecue.com/barbeque-videos/meadow-creek-barbeque-demonstrations.php
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:45:19 pm by beerocd »