Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462470 times)

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #2025 on: March 09, 2012, 11:50:02 am »
There's not necessarily a "problem" with it, however adding 5 or 10 lbs of cold meat will cause a significant  loss of thermal mass. This equates to more time and charcoal for all of the wood/charcoal users out there. It doesn't take any effort to allow the meat to come to R.T. unless you don't have the time to do it.

Ok, but just opening the smoker is going to cause a big drop in temp.

My meat goes on cold in my UDS, the internal temp probe, which sits about 1/16" below the grill dead center, comes back up to temp within 5 minutes.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2026 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:38 pm »
My meat goes on cold in my UDS, the internal temp probe, which sits about 1/16" below the grill dead center, comes back up to temp within 5 minutes.
How do you have the temp probe set up?  Mine sits at the side. :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2027 on: March 09, 2012, 12:16:59 pm »
There's not necessarily a "problem" with it, however adding 5 or 10 lbs of cold meat will cause a significant  loss of thermal mass. This equates to more time and charcoal for all of the wood/charcoal users out there. It doesn't take any effort to allow the meat to come to R.T. unless you don't have the time to do it.

Ok, but just opening the smoker is going to cause a big drop in temp.

I understand your teqnique.

My point is that it requires more energy to get the internal meat temp to the desired level when you start with cold meat than meat at R.T. which ultimately leads to more wood/charcoal usage and more time. Basically a longer smoke and some additional energy. Not that it's a concern for you but it is a concern for others.  :)
Ron Price

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
    • ALES Club
« Reply #2028 on: March 09, 2012, 01:32:19 pm »
I understand your teqnique.

My point is that it requires more energy to get the internal meat temp to the desired level when you start with cold meat than meat at R.T. which ultimately leads to more wood/charcoal usage and more time. Basically a longer smoke and some additional energy. Not that it's a concern for you but it is a concern for others.  :)

Ok, I see what you were trying to say now.

I am still thinking that 30 minutes on the smoker at 225F as compared to 30 minutes on the kitchen counter is going to be far more effecient and well worth the additional energy.  It was also suggested to submerge a sealed brisket in warm water, I suppose this method may lie somewhere in between, but still don't really see how this is any more effective than just putting the meat on the smoker.

Unless you are using a massive smoker with massive quantities of meat, or you are just using a really ineffecient smoker, I hardly see how putting the meat on cold is going to result in much of an increase in fuel.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
    • ALES Club
« Reply #2029 on: March 09, 2012, 01:36:14 pm »

Drilled a small hole in the side of the barrel, then stuck a spare turkey fryer probe (extra long) in there and secured it to the outside with duct tape to keep it level on the inside.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2030 on: March 09, 2012, 01:38:29 pm »
I can't imagine using that much more charcoal or energy to heat the meat either, but there's certainly nothing wrong with that method.  In terms of additional electric power I use, I would doubt you could even measure it. A couples pennies at most.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2031 on: March 09, 2012, 01:42:28 pm »

Drilled a small hole in the side of the barrel, then stuck a spare turkey fryer probe (extra long) in there and secured it to the outside with duct tape to keep it level on the inside.
Is this a dial thermometer?  I'm spoiled by my digital remote temperature probe - I can read it from the kitchen while I do other things.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
    • ALES Club
« Reply #2032 on: March 09, 2012, 02:54:32 pm »
Is this a dial thermometer?  I'm spoiled by my digital remote temperature probe - I can read it from the kitchen while I do other things.

Yes, it is a dial thermometer, so I do have to walk over to my patio door to read it.  My whole setup is very lo-tech, but works well.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2033 on: March 09, 2012, 03:20:42 pm »

Yes, it is a dial thermometer, so I do have to walk over to my patio door to read it.  My whole setup is very lo-tech, but works well.
No doubt, I should add one for a better read at the center, I can still monitor with the other one.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2034 on: March 09, 2012, 11:35:18 pm »
Time to start the Turkey brine, I promise to take pictures, it is 1230 am yikes. We be eating good in 18 hours! Brine is done and my baby is enjoying the bath of sugar, salt, honey and spices. To be continued.....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:59:30 pm by boulderbrewer »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2035 on: March 10, 2012, 06:47:00 am »
Time to start the Turkey brine, I promise to take pictures, it is 1230 am yikes. We be eating good in 18 hours! Brine is done and my baby is enjoying the bath of sugar, salt, honey and spices. To be continued.....

How sweet it is....

Good BBQ!  8)
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2036 on: March 10, 2012, 05:56:57 pm »
i made a greek inspired burger tonight......  fresh ground chuck and lamb, homemade tzatziki, spinich, mint, feta.....

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2037 on: March 10, 2012, 06:17:07 pm »
Nice work DS!  8)

I decided to spin a chicken for dinner. It was dark but I managed to get a decent shot with a flashlight and my iphone camera.

Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2038 on: March 10, 2012, 09:25:27 pm »
Both of those look absolutely fantastic! Been craving a burger. And chicken too.

Daisy Cutter? Nice. That'd be good to have around here.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #2039 on: March 11, 2012, 11:11:35 am »